Stars and stripes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jenamison

I am wondering if anyone would be willing to give up the secret of how to make the stars and stripes pens. The pens are beautiful! I can't believe that all 50 stars are on there. :D

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

timdaleiden

Originally posted by jenamison
<br />I am wondering if anyone would be willing to give up the secret of how to make the stars and stripes pens. The pens are beautiful! I can't believe that all 50 stars are on there. [:D]

They are pretty neat aren't they? The answer may disappoint you though. From what I have gathered, they use a laser engraver to cut out all the pieces, (IOW, they engrave the body of the pen to accept the inserts, and cut the inserts to fit the voids) glue them together, and put them back on the lathe to finish them. I feel like I just told you the truth about Santa. [:(]

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
We'll have a link posted here in a few days which will take you to a great article showing exactly how Ken makes the the pens. Tim has it, though, laser engraved, then inlaid. The article we'll post is from Engravers Journal.

Scott

Even better than knowing how they did it, I just found out that Ken Nelson will be selling flag pen kits, which will include all the lasered pieces, plus a pen kit, so you can make your own flag pen! Send him an E-Mail, or be at the Penturners Rendezvous! I think I might get one or two!

Scott.

YoYoSpin

Here's an alternative approach to making an American flag pen...using Polymer Clay:

http://www.polymerclaycentral.com/flagcane.html

Using the directions from this website, you can mold the flag "cane" onto a pen kit's brass tubes for lots of very cool effects, like with these slimlines:

<b>Image Insert:</b><br />
200455204156_ClayPen14a.jpg
<br /> 80.7&nbsp;KB

best regards,
Ed D.

jenamison

Those pen kits will be a hit if he sells it that way. I know that we would surely be on the list to recieve them. I wish that we would be able to attend, but we won't. I was looking for Ken's email address and have not been able to find it. Does anyone have that information?

I am interested in the clay, we have not had a chance to try it though. Thank you for showing your pens. I have really been trying to find something special to do for the fourth of July. I love the Stars and Stripes pen! I don't know if anything will be able to top that in my book. I am open to any suggestions though. I really want to find something to help everyone show their patriotism. (I hope that I spelled that correctly)

timdaleiden

""Those pen kits will be a hit if he sells it that way. I know that we would surely be on the list to recieve them. I wish that we would be able to attend, but we won't. I was looking for Ken's email address and have not been able to find it. Does anyone have that information? ""

Here's his website. http://www.kallenshaanwoods.com/

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Here's the link. The link only works if you click it from here. They authorized us to post it, and they use the IP address of our server to make sure you're coming from here. I'll have it on the front page with the other articles in a few days, but with all the interest, I though you all might want to read it now. [:)]

http://www.engraversjournal.com/article.php/2209/index.html

timdaleiden

Ken really developed an innovative technique. I never used a laser, so I never knew what was involved. The first time I saw a stars and stripes pen, I assumed he spent weeks doing the intricate carving by hand. Any way you look at it, the pen turns out great. It makes me wonder what other designs he's got brewing. Thanks for the link Jeff, and I look forward to seeing the article on the front page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom