Stars and Stripes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

John Kos

Can you folks share the best method to cut and join a small piece of acrylic stars to a small piece of stripes to get an invisible and square seam between the two?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jcm71

I don't turn the acrylic Stars and Stripes, but have turned a number of the wooden ones. Disc sander works well for me. Either make your own squaring jig or go with Rick Herrel as suggested above.

RobS

Rick's sanding jig, is your best bet.
I sand square the stripes and the stars, then 2 part epoxy on the tube.

RobS

Rick's sanding jig, is your best bet.
I sand square the stripes and the stars, then 2 part epoxy on the tube.

gtriever

Either a sanding jig or a parting tool on the lathe, but I can't think of a way for the seam to be completely invisible...

WriteON

I glued the stripe blank onto 3/4 of the tube. When the (CA) glue cured I faced the end that will connect the stars with a parting tool. Clean glue off of tube.
The Star piece... I faced it without a tube. Then glued it onto the tube against the stripe blank while everything is on the mandrel. I put slight pressure on it with by tightening up the tailstock. Let it cure...remove and face each end. The seam is flawless.

Hope this makes sense...if not we can talk by phone.
I'll gladly post the steps next week...currently without a lathe.

experiment...you'll figure it out.

Attachments

• IMG_3801.jpg
    IMG_3801.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_3258.jpg
    IMG_3258.jpg
    285.5 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:

John Kos

I glued the stripe blank onto 3/4 of the tube. When the (CA) glue cured I faced the end that will connect the stars with a parting tool. Clean glue off of tube.
The Star piece... I faced it without a tube. Then glued it onto the tube against the stripe blank while everything is on the mandrel. I put slight pressure on it with by tightening up the tailstock. Let it cure...remove and face each end. The seam is flawless.

Thank you!!

WriteON

Thank you!!
How's it going?

Top Bottom