Stainless steel (or harder) busings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GregHight

Does anyone know where I can get stainless steel busings or even something harder than stainless? I know, you are thinking, "he's doing something wrong if he needs harder busings...".

I work with a LOT of alligator jawbone and the process is hard on busings and we all know how problematic it can be when bushings get out of whack...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Steve Busey

I use the "turn between center" bushings from johnnycnc here on the forum - they're a very hard metal. But they'd require moving away from the mandrel, and to 60 degree live and dead centers.

IPD_Mrs

Talk to johnnycnc. He would be able to tell you more about the hardness of the bushings he sells compared to those you get from the pen suppliers. I am pretty sure they are harder but he would have the specs.

gr8danish

If you really want to pony up some $$$, get a machine shop to make your bushings with carbide sleeves. They'll cost you an arm and a leg, but they should last almost forever, as carbide won't get worn down by sanding.

lorbay

It's funny how a lot of people think that stainless steel is hard, well it's not. The easiest way to tell if metal is hard or not, is just to try and cut it will a hack saw ( with a good blade that is) and if it cuts it's not that hard.

Lin.

OKLAHOMAN

I've made quite a few Gator Jaw Bone pens and have used JohnnyCNC's between center bushings on all of them with no wearing down of the bushings, and thats useing my 80 grit skew:wink:.

lorbay

I've made quite a few Gator Jaw Bone pens and have used JohnnyCNC's between center bushings on all of them with no wearing down of the bushings, and thats useing my 80 grit skew:wink:.

Ha, Ha Ha. But did you try your 60 grit skew. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Lin.

GregHight

I guess I'll order some of Johnnys bushings. I guess I need to look at turning them on a live center instead of a mandrel as well. Thanks for the input everyone.

We should get together sometime Snowman, since we live less than ten miles apart and both learned our skills from the same person! lol BTW, you don't happen to own Snowden Automotive on MLK street do you?

gr8danish

Mos tof the standard Stainless Steel (303 304, etc) is not very hard unless it's been heat treated or coated...

titan2

You could turn your own, if you have a metal lathe, and harden the steel yourself.....not that hard to do. I've made some tools and you can not cut it with a file once I'm done.

Barney

workinforwood

I have to jump on the Johnny bandwagon too! I have a several different sets of his bushings that I have been using for far longer than he has been established as a business on the web and they are still in great shape other than some nicks in the ends from the occasional need to use pliers to pull them out. I can spin hundreds of pens on a single set of his bushings. I have the equipment that I can make my own, but I still buy his bushings.

Top Bottom