Stained Olive Wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bobostro61

I did my first craft show today. Did pretty good actually. Anyway, somebody saw my pens, went home and got a piece of olive wood he got from Algeria (bark still on it). He wants me to make a pen out of it but also wants the wood stained a dark color. Goes against my feelings of letting the wood show its natural beauty (especially with olive wood). I have alcohol based stains here that I use for making pipes. Do you think an alcohol based stain would work or would you suggest an oil based stain. I'm planning on using a friction polish instead of CA finish. I had a pen I stained with light brown alcohol based stain and when I put the CA on the wood, it turned the stain red. Any suggestions on what type of stain would be best to use on a piece of olive wood? Gotta give the customer what they want I guess...

Thanks in advance.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rblakemore

Is the customer always right? Or Wrong

My understanding is that no matter how wrong, the customer is always right. With that, Olivewood grain is just too good to cover with stain. I agree with the above sentiment, turn the Olive and show your customer. And attempt to convince to leave the pen unstained.
I would love to work a piece with "original" olive with the bark still on it.

stonepecker

Not to do with pens yet.........I haven't been turning long enough.

HOWEVER,

Within my trade......I will walk away when something is so wrong that I don't want my name tied to the work. If it is wrong and I know it is wrong, I will talk to the customer and explain. If they still want it done wrong, it is then I have to decide if I want to be know for doing the work. Most times people will listen if you take the time to explain the reasons.

The customer is not always right......but they are still the customer.

penmaker1967

iagree with everyone else on this olive wood is just to pretty to stain and i do think myseld that it would not take a the stain in if did it would turn out pretty bad resuolts just my thought

Joe S.

I personally don't see anything "wrong" with staining it. I would prefer not to stain it, and think you should try to convince him not to. But if he really wants it stained, I don't see a problem. We dye buckeye burl all the time, I don't see a difference if it's olivewood.

dbledsoe

I agree wit Joe S. If he wants it painted with latex wall paint, paint it with latex wall paint. He is the one using it. I would not do it for myself or for any other reason except it is his wood and his money. I work in mental health. This is not the worst thing he could ask.

dwarmbrodt

I would turn the blank as proud to the bushings as can be, then attempt to stain it per customer without assembly. If the stain doesn't take, or the customer doesn't approve, or if it just looks bad, you can always turn it down to spec and remove the tainted material. Just my .02...

kovalcik

Turn the blank until just round so you can turn off the stain, sand and apply a couple different stains and keep one portion natural. Finish and show them to the customer with the excuse you want to see which stain he likes best. If he picks the natural section great. If not turn the pen down, put the stain on and deal with it. A sale is a sale.

Krash

I think a nice, subtle, stain makes wood look fantastic. Most of what we have in our houses is stained to enhance the beauty and depth of the wood. Granted, some woods don't need any help but most could benefit from some help, be it BLO, CA, or whatever finish we choose to employ.

Bobostro61

At the show, he wanted an all black pen. All I had close to that was one that was all black with a thin red ribbon running through it. He wanted ALL black. I'm thinking about just mixing up some black PR and making the pen for him. That would be more of what he was looking for and he can have his wood back undamaged from sawing out a chunk of it.

Bobostro61

Olive is so oily that I'm not convinced it will take any stain at all.

You were right. I turned the wood down to round and sanded it to 600 grit and applied some stain. IT LOOKED HORRIBLE. He's going to get natural wood. I am also going to make an all black acrylic version. If he's upset about the wood not being stained, I'll just give him the pens for free, give him back his wood, and be gone. Here's what the pen looks like. Unfortunately, there's a couple pits in the wood. I didn't want to cut up his piece of wood any more. It is what it is...

Attachments

• IMG_1872.jpg
    IMG_1872.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 328
  • IMG_1873.jpg
    IMG_1873.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 292

low_48

You were right. I turned the wood down to round and sanded it to 600 grit and applied some stain. IT LOOKED HORRIBLE. He's going to get natural wood. I am also going to make an all black acrylic version. If he's upset about the wood not being stained, I'll just give him the pens for free, give him back his wood, and be gone. Here's what the pen looks like. Unfortunately, there's a couple pits in the wood. I didn't want to cut up his piece of wood any more. It is what it is...

That looks more like oak than any olive wood I've ever seen. This is what I am used to seeing.
Pen Blanks

robutacion

My understanding is that no matter how wrong, the customer is always right. With that, Olivewood grain is just too good to cover with stain. I agree with the above sentiment, turn the Olive and show your customer. And attempt to convince to leave the pen unstained.
I would love to work a piece with "original" olive with the bark still on it.

Humm, that can be arranged, how many hundreds do you want...??? 4 or them landed in your neck of the woods, would cost you AU$9.00 for shipping and a tank you for the blanks, how's that for an answer to your desire...???:wink::biggrin:

PS: Taking the olive wood blank to pen barrel size and sanded no further than 240 grit sandpaper, will allow for a successful colour change, using the oil based stain, just make sure you wipe the sanded blank with some acetone but not too much or otherwise, you may compromise the glue you used on the tube.

Burnishing the stain in the clean wood, will work wonders, a couple of coats of the super thin CA (5cup), sanded gently with wet and dry and then rubbed with some steel wood, the wood gets a great feel to it, probably what the customers is after...!

Good luck

Cheers
George

Cheers
George

robutacion

Wow, are you sure that is Olive wood...??? I never seen Olive wood with that bark and grain, the log end-grain is also showing a much softer type of wood, you got me confused, now...!:eek:

George

robutacion

That looks more like oak than any olive wood I've ever seen. This is what I am used to seeing.
Pen Blanks

Who owns that website, do you know...???

Cheers
George

bekeeper

Water buffalo makes a nice solid black pen. Nice weight. I do a lot of Olive wood pen blanks. I hope this guys wood had a lot of pattern in it. When I do CA gue finish, I start with a drop of boiled linseed oil. This darkens the wood a tad but not probably what this guuy wants. If I want to keep the wood feel I use a drop of BLSO with a drop of CA for about 5 coats. If I want high gloss, I go Just the CA for about 5 to 10 coats depending on if it is thin or medium.

low_48

Pen Blanks

Who owns that website, do you know...???

Cheers
George

I don't know, just picked the first site off the Google search that had a good pen blank pic.

Bobostro61

Pen Blanks

I know. He brought in that log saying it was Olive Wood. After I turned it I couldn't see how it could be olive wood either. I don't think it's oak though. It's softer than some oak I have here. Not sure what it is. He said it's Algerian olive wood. Maybe they have a different species of olive tree in Algeria??? :bulgy-eyes:

Last edited:
Top Bottom