Staging Area Ideas

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Uncle Monster

Hi everyone,

I'm quickly realizing how easy it is to mix up blanks you have decided to use for this kit for blanks for another kit. So I end up with a few to assemble and can't remember what I wanted to go with what. So far I am using a pegboard to hang the kits on and write on the bag what blank I want to use for it while I'm drilling, painting, etc. Just wondering if anyone has any other staging processes they use that helps keep confusion down. Thanks and hope everyone is having a great day!

Kym

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodchipper

I use plastic storage boxes from deli meats at the grocery. As said, mark it with a piece of masking tape. Getting ready to do 10 pens- same kit but 10 different blanks. Definitely need to be organized!

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I get cheap plastic boxes (about 2"x4"x2") at the $ store - usually 3 or 4 for a buck to keep kits & blanks together. If a blank needs to be separated from the kit for any period of time greater than my current work session, I use a Sharpie to write the kit name on the blank.

jttheclockman

Some people(me) use a board that has dowels sticking up. Usually 2 dowels for each row in case they are a 2 piece kit. just mark a number on each row and match the corresponding number to the kit. Put the number on the bag and also on the inside of the tubes. If a 2 piece tube set have a system where you want to match grain patterns and cut a blank in half. The end you mark the inside tubes is the matching code. butt both same numbers when assembling and the grain or cut line matches. When you drill and insert tubes just place over the corresponding dowel. Now I am going to patten this system and make some fancy board and sell it to you all for hundreds of dollars. Don't worry I am going to throw a special marker in.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: Does not get any simplier. I will laser it like I see so many do here for such simple things such as pen stands.

randyrls

I have a "Build Box" plastic parts container that holds 8 pen kits and blanks at a time. It snaps shut so if dropped the parts stay together. I have also used small disposable bowls to hold the kits while I am working on them.

I also write a number (1-8) on the blanks I am drilling so they stay with the right kit.

Last edited:

Herb G

Sounds like your system is working for you. Don't do like I did & get ahead of yourself. These days, I take a piece of 3/4" masking tape & put a piece on the blank I'm using.
I write the blank name on it, both ends. Then I know what the leftover piece is.
I also write the pen kit name on it so I know what it's for after I drill it.

It makes my life much easier to keep track of, believe me. :wink:

Uncle Monster

Thanks for the great ideas! I've started using a quite a few of these. I have been getting ahead of myself. Thank you guys so much! I love this site!

acmaclaren

Angi the Maker
I throw the kit and black into a sandwich bag. I use a scrap piece of paper in as a label. This way I can reuse the plastic bag for another project.

skybiker

I use these: https://www.storesupply.com/pc-12617-1006-plastic-stackable-trays-white-55332.aspx

They stack up, so they don't take a lot of benchtop. I also printed some business cards on my printer that have spaces to write the kit, the wood, and other details. I throw the kit, the drills I need , bushings, blanks, and notes in the trays. Stack 'em up & go.

The sides of the tray are around an inch high, so it will hold whatever you need.

OZturner

I'm using cheap food storage boxes I picked up at the grocery store. I label the lid with the piece of tape.

I also use the same system, however, as well I assemble the Bushes, and Drill Bit, in the Food Storage Box, so when I pick up the Box, I am ready to Go.
Regards,
Brian.

Top Bottom