Staghorn Sumac

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

follow3

Hey All,

Someone offered me some wood called Staghorn Sumac. Is it any good for turning? Is it desirable at all to pen turners? It has incredible grain and color.

Also, same questions about Osage Orange?

Both are dried to 6%.

Thanks,
Steve

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

les-smith

I've never turned any Staghorn Sumac, but it is some sweet looking wood. E-bay has some right now if you want to look at some pictures.

USAFVET98

Osage Orange

Hey All,

Someone offered me some wood called Staghorn Sumac. Is it any good for turning? Is it desirable at all to pen turners? It has incredible grain and color.

Both are dried to 6%.

Thanks,
Steve

I love the osage orange. I have a bunch of it and personally emjoy turning it. It finishes up real nice as well. If you want I will cut you a blank and send it to you to see if you like it.

PaulDoug

Holy Cow! Turn some of the Staghorn and post it. I have a huge bush of it in my yard that I thought I'd like to kill, it spreads all over the place. Maybe I will have to rethink it.

I have turned some sumac and it is a highly grained good looking wood.
It is fairly soft.

A few of the pens can be seen on my website. I don't think that the color is true.

Larry

zig613

Although it is a rather soft wood its a 'heavy' grained wood and has distinctive green colour and does make an attractive pen.

Hey All,

Both are dried to 6%.

Thanks,
Steve

If it has incredible grain and color, you should give it a shot.

I've only done one or two Osage pens and from that I've found it to be an excellent wood to work with.

follow3

WOW...

Got the order yesterday. It is incredible looking wood. The color is awesome, kinda green, yellow, tan and ivory all mixed together in the strong grain lines.

I will put some up for sale in the individual sales section soon.

Steve

workinforwood

The pen Tony shows, looks like it, although the color is wrong. Looks like a camera issue, where the camera isn't capturing the color right. I use staghorn all the time for intarsias and for pens. Like everyone says the color is great. It's quite stable when dry. It is a very soft wood. It's "fuzzy". Some times I can sand it all day with really fine grits and it just stays fuzzy. Once a coat of finish is applied, it's much easier to remove fuzzies.
If you have a sumac in your yard, you can cut it down 6" from the ground and the tree will not die. It will regrow, many times bushier than before and in no time at all. Plowing the stuff with a tractor just makes more sumac from the root pieces! Osage Orange does the exact same thing, although a totally different tree/bush. Osage starts as a bush, then grows to be a tree...thus the farmers used to plant is as hedge rows to keep the cattle in the field. Worked great until the bushes turned into tree's, the lower branches then fall off leaving it open for the animals to escape. That takes awhile of course as the osage grows really slow. The farmers came back all angry and cut all the osage down, but they wouldn't die. So they would pull the stumps and plow up the roots. This lead to further frustration as all the root pieces would become osage bushes! The only way to stop them is to continuously mow them or burn them out. One last interesting thing is the concentration of silica in osage. If you turn off all the lights and cut a piece of osage with the chop saw..you can see sparks. It's one of those woods that really trashes the tools fast.

There's so much sumac up here in the north you can't give it away!

Top Bottom