stabilizing wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
i have been reading the postings about stabilized wood. my question is why would i use it? does it have to be used on all pens, or is there only certain times when to use it. i am a little confused

thanks[8D]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Alan, stabilization is used to make wood more stable to turn. It can also be used to dye wood interesting colors. It requires less finishing than most unstabilized wood. It is not a requirement [:D] in any way to use. Burls often are tricky to turn, and the stabilization makes them easier to turn.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by wudnhed
<br />William, can it also keep wood from shrinking or have I misunderstood that[?]

Becca, I'm not sure about that, but it seems reasonable since the acrylic or whatever is used fills any empty cell spaces.

Fred

The reasons I like using the stabilized woods are numerous. (1) Dust control is better when turning, (2) the wood is completely protected from the elements, (3) Most burls are simply enhanced in beauty, (4) Difficult woods are easier/safer to turn, (5) Finishes are better and easier to apply, (6) the wood is somewhat more insensitive to changes in the temperature and or climate, (7) the appearance of the wood can be changed by selective dying, (8) people ask what it was treated with (increases their interest), (9) Shrinking, cracking, expanding, warping are basicaly eliminated, (10) oily hands do not damage the wood, (11) the grain is not raised and finishing time is greatly reduced, etc.

Try lookingat some of the luthier woods that have been treated professionally and you will see the results of the stabilization processes. Check these knife scales examples and look at the other woods at this site
http://www.galleryhardwoods.com/knifehandle.htm (Notice the filled in grain of the examples)

Hope this helps you some ... [:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom