stabilizing service?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Munsterlander

Can somebody point me to someone I can send blanks to to get stabilized? I've got some really nicely figured redwood burl, courtesy of Rockb, but it's soft and for the first time I found I couldn't keep a level edge on a longer barrel (for a Zen) - just sands away too easily...

Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Druid

Mike,
If you want stabilizing done locally I can accomodate. May I ask what you want stabilized, size, and how many?

Munsterlander

Thanks for the replies and PMs.

Jim, the main thing I wanted to get stabilized are the 6 pieces of redwood burl I bought from Rockb. They're a little oversized, probably 7/8" square by 7" or so long - except for the one I already cut and used about half. But if I'm going to get some done, I'll probably go through my stock and see what else I should get done. I've got quite a bit of buckeye burl - haven't actually had a problem working with it when it's not stablized, but it's awful light stuff - anybody have a recommendation of whether it's better to stabilize buckeye burl? Probably have some more, just can't think of it off the top of my head...

GouletPens

Mike, Jim has a nice setup and does a great job stabilizing. And YES you will want to stabilize your buckeye burl. The stuff will want to blow apart on the lathe otherwise.

Top Bottom