Stabilizing redwood questions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dario

I've been playing with plexi-acetone stabilization and used it on spalted buckeye, spalted alder, spalted maple and they all bubbled like crazy!!! Most are dry now and are very hard. I will see how they drill and turn next week.

Having a "vacant" bottle with the mix, I decided to stabilize some of my redwood burl with it...and to my surprise almost no bubble came out of the blanks!!! [:0]

Anyone else experienced this with redwood?

What other "soft" wood (in your experience) doesn't lend to stabilization well?

Thank you

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Dario,

I had some old growth Honduran Mahagony that had dried for 20 or more years. It even had dry rot in places. I sent it to Steve White, and it would not pick up any resin when he stabilized it. The spalted sweetgum I sent nearly tripled in weight, but the mahogany did nothing. Go figure.

Originally posted by wdcav1952
<br />Dario,

I had some old growth Honduran Mahagony that had dried for 20 or more years. It even had dry rot in places. I sent it to Steve White, and it would not pick up any resin when he stabilized it. The spalted sweetgum I sent nearly tripled in weight, but the mahogany did nothing. Go figure.

We have sweetgum trees all over the place here in southern Virginia. Is it a good wood to work with?

alamocdc

Dario, I've stabilized some of my redwood using plexi and it didn't bubble as profusely as the buckeye burl and spalted maple. Some parts of it will absorb more than others and it doesn't gain a lot of weight, but you can tell the difference when you turn it.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by Blind_Squirrel
<br />
Originally posted by wdcav1952
<br />Dario,

We have sweetgum trees all over the place here in southern Virginia. Is it a good wood to work with?

Scott,

I found a good-sized limb at my parents' house that had been on the ground for a year or more. It was crazy spalted, and looks great stabilized. I have not used sweet gum other than spalted so I can't answer your question as respects to fresh sweet gum. The sticky sap might prove a problem to contend with.

FWIW,

Dario

Originally posted by alamocdc
<br />Dario, I've stabilized some of my redwood using plexi and it didn't bubble as profusely as the buckeye burl and spalted maple. Some parts of it will absorb more than others and it doesn't gain a lot of weight, but <b>you can tell the difference when you turn it</b>.

Billy,

This is good to know. What concerned me was there was almost no bubble...I might have to vacuum this one if they still don't totally sink after the weekends.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom