Stabilizing purpleheart? Colorfastness?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone had experience with stabilizing purpleheart and if so does that keep the color more stable over time?

Anyone want to comment on exactly the chemical/photo process of the purpleheart color dulling over time?

I am also a bagpiper. On one of the bagpiping newsgroups there is a section on Do It Yourself (DIY) where some members try turning their own pipes on the lathe. One member recently posted a link to photos and videos of Pipes he had professionally made in Scotland out of African Blackwood (most common bagpipe material), purpleheart accent rings and Tagua nut imitation ivory bushings. Also some beautiful engraved silverwork. The pipes are absolutely goregous in their workmanship. Take a look!
http://home.tiscali.no/billcarr/billsmacphersons.html
Though we have been discussing how the purpleheart pieces might change color over the years. Anyone like to comment?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

patsfan

purpleheart is extremely hard (varies from hickory to ebony) why would you need to stabilize?

Rifleman1776

Purpleheart, and other woods, change color due to exposure to UV light rays. There once was a product on the market that prevented the change. However, the maker/seller, known as the Lumber Lady, died and her business closed. As far as I know there is no replacement available. With time the purpleheart will resemble walnut. By the way, that is some beautiful workmanship on the pipes.

JimGo

Frequent applications of TSW might do the trick. It has UV inhibitors (kind of like a sunscreen for wood), which might help keep the color from changing.

I agree with Frank; that's a great set of pipes!

wayneis

The only thing that I have ever heard of that keeps purple heart from changing is a marine finish. A substitute for purple heart that won't change is Boise de Rose, it is a rich beautiful purple color and it turn very well. I had a photo in my album, not sure if its still there. I'm working on a Jr. Baron right now that should be finished in a couple days. In my opinion, Boise de Rose is a much prettier wood that purple heart. The color is richer.

Wayne

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
After I turn my pens I hang them in the light prior to finishing.
I have read that they will turn brown and also been told it is a falacy.
I do note that it is heat that affects the color change from purple to brown and light that changes it from brown to purple.
If I am mistaken I apologize.
[^]

timdaleiden

From what I have experienced, Purpleheart will turn brownish when worked, and return to its original color after exposure. Using any product with UV inhibitors may keep it from returning to its original color. If it doesn't have a proper finish, it will become grungy looking with use.

I have no idea how stabilization would effect the color changing process.

J. Fred Muggs

Here's a link to a discussion on this subject a few months back. http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=140

According to the International Wood Collectors Society, and my personal experience, Purpleheart is a light brown in color when freshly cut. Exposure to ultra violet radiation causes it to change to a nice purple color. Continued exposure to UV will cause it to change back to brown again over time.

The only way I can think of to assure that it never goes brown again is to keep it totally away from any UV - locked up in a dark safe. Obviously that's not the answer we want. A good UV blocking finish will slow the color degradation, but, doesn't stop it.

I turn mine, espose overnight to direct up close and personal fluorescent lighting, (which yeilds a beautiful shade of bright purple) then finish. I now use a couple coats of TSW which has some UV inhibitors according to its creator. I honestly don't know how much it helps, but it sure doesn't hurt. I explain to my customers the effects of the UV on the purple color. I tell them is the same effect as other woods like cherry darkening with age. I suggest they do not leave the pen laying in a sunny place. Most seem to appreciate the info and some look forward to the color change occuring. I find it's not nearly so bad when the customer knows to espect the change.

elody21

I just down right cheat with purpleheart, I add some purpleish pink stain and the color stays! Ha! Ha!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom