Stabilizing corncobs?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Carole in VA

Picked up a bunch when I was at the farm yesterday and am wondering how to stabilize them. I saw an article/post somewhere but now can't find it. Seems tome it involved soaking in a mixture of white glue and water?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Carole in VA

Originally posted by Carole in VA
<br /> I saw an article/post somewhere but now can't find it. Seems tome it involved soaking in a mixture of white glue and water?
Maybe I should clarify that I am looking for a method that does not involve CA or Epoxy.

G

Since you have already posted what you don't want to stabilize them with I can't help.
My method involves basically a vacuum chamber and rotted wood stabilzer which appears to be plexiglass dissloved in acetone.
I do wonder though what you are going to finish it with.
I use CA for appearances AND strength.
Interested if any have finished without using CA and how they are holding up.
(Non mummified cobs)
From my album
corncob%20trio.jpg

Efletche

Those are pretty pens. I cannot help Carole either, since I stabilize as I turn with CA. Once I have completed the sanding, I do use a friction was as a finish.

M

Mudder

Originally posted by Eaglesc
<br />
Interested if any have finished without using CA and how they are holding up.
(Non mummified cobs)

Mine is only a week or two old now and it is used every day. So far it is holding up well. I'll keep you posted as to long term.

Carole in VA

I guess being cheapie that I am, I am was looking for something cheaper than CA (that stuff is like gold here...I have to have it shipped in), but it seems that that is the stuff to use, according to those of you who have done cobs. I may experiment with the Minwax hardener if I can find it locally. May also experiment with some home brews...will let ya'll know if I happen to come up with something that is not expensive AND works![;)] Thanks, all!

smoky10

I use bondo rotted Wood Stabilizer thinned 50/50 with acetone. I let it soak for a day and then dry for a day.I don't have a vacuum so I weigh them down to keep them below the stabilizer. After tutning them I do what most of the others do, I use CA for a finish.

G

Smoky as long as you are thinning it down you might as well try plexigalss and acetone I got the idea from a stabilizing thread ion this site.
Try a search.
At the time there was talk of pool cue hardeners and such the thread went on for quite a while

jkirkb94

Tom has already mentioned the way that I would recommend. The short length and predrilling should help the cob soak through. Also look for the smaller diameter cobs. Not the big ones like I first tried and failed. Kirk[8D]

G

Iturn them on the lathe w/out drill or mandrel to get the fuzz off.
Then ct and drill,soemtimes no cut drill and drop the bit,soak in one piece.

Rifleman1776

The pens shown made with cobs really look nice and are very unique. I think I'll try some. We have relatives in Illinois corn country who are already convinced I'm a bit nutso, so they will probably not be too shocked when I ask them to look for cobs and ship them to me. Somewhere in Missouri (I live in Arkansas 25 miles from the MO border) a special type of corn is grown just for the cob. They make the famous Missouri Meerschaum pipes from them. It is a bit harder and denser than regular corn. I might even try to make some duck calls from it.

EagleSC,

It looks as though some of your corncob pens are dyed blue? If so what brand/type of dye did you use? Never having dyed and pen blanks before I would assume that you need to dye first and then stabilize?

Also has anyone used "indian corn" i.e. the colorful stuff you see around the fall, does it have multi color cobs or is it only the kernels?

Keith

Carole in VA

Yuck! I stabilized a cob with CA, let it dry for a day and commenced to turning. That CA dust is about the most obnoxious stuff I have ever been around. Maybe it's just me? Plus it seems to dull a sharp tool in a couple of passes. Going to leave that stuff alone til I get a respirator. Are regular stabilized blanks that you buy this obnoxious? I have a couple that Bill B put in with my order, but have not turned them yet.

Efletche

Some of the stabilized blanks have a particular odor when you begin turning them. You get used to the smell. As far as the corn cob goes, I use the accelerator on mine and continue turning the pen that day. Are you dipping your corn cob or dripping the CA into the pores?

Efletche

Carole, have you read Bev's article on turning corn cobs? In case you are interested, here is the link. http://www.penturners.org/content/CornCobPen.pdf

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Carole,
CA definitely has its place in turning. Look at the group buy for a cheaper source of CA. Most important, though is that a dust collector is a must when using CA. I got the cheapest Delta on on sale at a Lowe's. It doesn't do much for the larger shavings, but all dust (and CA smell!) is vacuumed away.

G

Ditto on the D.C.(not Lou)
Best if you can vent it somewhere where you aint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom