Stabilizing blanks (canner's style)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

Dario,
Please do a search of the archives here before you continue. This came up a few months ago, and there were some dire warnings about explosions, IIRC.

Best of luck, and please let us know how you make out!

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Dario, one word, DON"T!!!!!

I tried this one when I first started turning. The material is very flammable. Also, as the liquid approaches the boiling point it can bubble up from the bottom of the canning jar, causing the contents to leave the bottle rather quickly! Fortunately I needed new glasses anyway. [B)]

I was lucky that all that went wrong was the loss of a pair of glasses. If you must do stabilization on your own, go the vacuum route. This would be a good place to mention that Steve and Carol White do professional stabilization at a very reasonable cost.

Fangar

Just go out an buy the darn 20 dollar hand operated vacuum pump. Take the same jar you were going to make into an Improvised Explosive Device (IED) by boiling it and add a .25 cent fitting.

If you have never tried the vacuum method, it works great without the risk. And the poly / fiberglass /whatever mixture you use is re-useble.

James

Dario

I have a vacuum pump actually but at first I thought this is better.

Thanks for saving me from the grief...and potential accident.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Dario - deleting your post rendered this thread completely worthless. Why not leave it there and add a warning or something. I really hate it when people go back and delete things long after the post. Gotta fix that...

JimGo

I agree with Jeff. The words you used may be exactly what someone uses as keywords when they are searching this site. By deleting the post, you take away their ability to find the info, and ultimately the warning!

Dario

Jeff,

I am sorry...I just thought it would be bad to leave a potentially hazardous instruction out in the open. I definitely don't want to be instrumental to anyone getting hurt later. Especially that I am already informed of such.

JimGo

Dario,
Sorry, I don't mean to single you out, either. I understand your motives. But I think a well-worded introductory paragraph that you edit into the original post would be MUCH more informative.

Darley

Originally posted by jeff
<br />Dario - deleting your post rendered this thread completely worthless. Why not leave it there and add a warning or something. I really hate it when people go back and delete things long after the post. <u>Gotta fix that...</u>

I think I miss that post but I 'm agree with you Jeff deleting a post should be done by you or a Moderator, I just catch this post and I don't know what is all about, Sorry Dario I don't want to be a pain in your back side but what it was really about it?

Dario

Serge,

It is about stabilizing pen blanks but instead of using vacuum pump, you boil the solution with the wood then covering the container while still hot to create the vacuum.

In theory it is better than plain vacuum since boiling will also force the solution in the wood...but most pointed out that there have been some reports that this procedure may cause some explosion. Therefore it is a potential hazard.

I did have some warnings before hand not to use combustible solution but I felt it is not enough so I decided to delete the post.

The actual post have more detail on how it should be done but this is the gist of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom