Stabilizing

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

samm47

I have run across some spalted box elder and had thought about trying to stabilizing it. I do not have a vacum pump. Is that a necessity to stabilizing wood?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Nope cut a blank and prepare it for turning.(you might want to knock the corners off) Apply thin CA as you turn,it should absorb quite a bit.
let it soak in before hitting it with accelerator.When you have turned off the cA give it another dose.
Stabilizing with a vacuum would be another method but for one pen the CA will work.
(Well maybe should work is a better term, it works on red palm and corn cobs, denim , string , ribbon and any other wierd thing I've tried)

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Doug, I would never seek to contradice a "HAC" member. However, I tried this method and it is a bit dangerous. I think it would work with knife scales since the blank is thin, but I got poor penetration with my pen blanks. The chemical is not really designed to be heated, and can, don't ask how I know :-{ , react rather violently when over-heated. Simpler to use CA, much smarter to use Steve White to stabilize your blanks.

Ryan

I saw a product in the paint department at a big orange box store and claims it hardens soft wood. It was made by Minwax and they called it "Wood Hardner" I have not tried it so I do not know if it works. Has anyone tried this product? If not it may be worth a try.

Ryan

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
I tried this about 5-6 months back, Ryan. The penetration was fair (at best), the wood took forever to dry (smelling up the house in the process) and overall I was not impressed. Just my experience.

dougle40

I tried this method and it is a bit dangerous. I think it would work with knife scales since the blank is thin, but I got poor penetration with my pen blanks. The chemical is not really designed to be heated, and can, don't ask how I know :-{ , react rather violently when over-heated.
Thanks for that William . I've not tried this but it SOUNDED good !!![:I]
I tried to stabilize some wood by just submersing it in some poly finish and left it there for 3 weeks then let it dry for another week . What a bust and waste of time !!!![V][V]

Gary

You can have the blanks stabilized at River Ridge Products for $1.00 each. The quality of work is excellent. Their link is:

http://www.rrpwhite.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom