Stabilized Wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Boz

I just finished turning my first stabilized wood blank, Specifically box elder burl. I sanded it up to 12,000 and put on some One Step polish and the finish is OK but not real shiny and bright. Would I be better off removing the polish either by sanding or mineral spirits and putting on a few coats of CA and sanding and polishing that? What do you do to complete the finish on a stabilized wood blank?
Thanks in advance for the help.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Hi

Stabilised wood will never give you the shine of a CA finish, Stabilised wood, apart from its hardening capabilities and easier to work with, has its best application on pens that will be liquid/dirt repellent and get a "natural finish" as many costumers refer to as something that looks and feel like wood and not glossy so, if you want to shine a stabilised blank, you will require to finish it with a few coats of CA.

In your case, you need to remove the polish compound and the best way to do that is to wet sand it again, and start all over...!

Good luck...!

Cheers
George

Jim Burr

Banned
What finish are you looking for Boz? Do you want the shiney look...matte...complement the wood? It gets tough! Stabilized stuff is known for sheen...not necessarily shine, but a little CA should fix that. Think about the wood and what the end game is. Pics?

edstreet

Really? Sure about that?

attachment.php

Attachments

• 558038_10200467929162661_425602940_n.jpg
    558038_10200467929162661_425602940_n.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 269
I would call the vase (and beautiful at that) a satin or maybe semi gloss over the high sheen you would get with a CA or lacquer finish.

Top Bottom