Stabilized Red Oak

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sidro55

I stabilized eighteen 3/4 X 3/4 X 5" pen blanks yesterday. I had a bunch of Red Oak that was almost rotten but beautiful deep red color full of grain. No saw dust when I sawed the blanks out, just powder. Because they were so bad I used straight poly and not the 50/50 mix some used. I used a hand vacuum pump brake bleeder about 5 or 6 times until no bubbles were coming out of the wood in a ½ gal. glass jar.

RO%20Blanks1.jpg

RO%20Blanks2.jpg

Sid

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JohnDrayton

That looks like beautiful wood! I have never seen red oak that was that color! All the red oak I have ever seen was only slightly pinkish.

John Drayton

Sidro55

I just use a hand vac that is used for bleeding brakes. Here is the link to the one I have.
http://www.mityvac.com/hq_images/MV6203.jpg

It comes with about a dozen different fittings but I use the little suction cup with it. I put my blanks in a half gal. glass jar, mine had those little hot sauages I love in it, then fill with cheap poly to cover blanks, got a gal at Big Lots for $9.99. Some people use 1/2 poly and 1/2 MS. You may want to lay something on them to keek then from floting. I drilled a 1/4" hole in the center of the lid and placed the suction cup over the hole and start pumping the handle. After the first few pumps the cup will suck down and stay on the top. I pump it as far as it will go and let it set until the air bubbles stop coming out of the wood and let it set for about 10 minutes. Then when the air is sucked out of the wood, hit the release trigger and the poly is forced into the wood. Repeat this process until the bubbles stop coming out of the wood. I then removed the blanks and put them on a rack to dry. The amount of poly that is sucked into the wood will determine how long it will take to dry. I can't take credit for this process as I got it from "Hickory" on the Woodworking Friends site.
Sorry to be so long but you ask.

Sid

kgwaugh

I have two questions regarding your method here, both probably very simplistic:

When you say "poly", of what are you speaking?---polyurethane finish, poly casting resin?

What is "WS"

TIA, Gene

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom