Stabilized Pen Blanks?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

lee-tree

Greetings,

As I get more into the selling of pen blanks, and I am bringing in over 5K Aussie pen blanks in March, I would like to pose a question to the group. What is the preference of penturners, to turn stabilized or unstabilized wood?

I am considering making an arrangement with a stabilizing company to stabilize most of these blanks, but want to insure the market will be there as it will increase my costs (and therefore your costs) if I do this. I am looking at a unstabilized cost to you of $2.50/blank unstabilized vs. about $4.00 (or higher)/blank stabilized.

I guess the real question is, would all of you be willing to pay the extra for stabilized pen blanks? I welcome all thoughts and opinions on this. Thanks.

- lee -

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Efletche

Lee, I have had no problems with the burl blanks I've received from you. They have all turned like butter without a single tear out. Nor have I seen any of the turned pieces develop cracks since I assembled the pens. It may be beneficial to stabilze some for turners who turn only stabilized woods, but I can't complain about your non-stabilized blanks.

PenWorks

Lee, I will let you know, I sent some of your blanks off to get stabilized, have not got them back yet. But the charge was 1.00 per blank or 8.00 a pound, I think I am getting it done by the pound. Thanks for thinking about this option.

Scott

Hi Lee,

I prefer to turn stabilized blanks. But, where I buy non-stabilized blanks by the dozen, I buy the stabilized blanks two or three at a time.

Scott.

Gary Max

I think that we all like stabilized blanks real well. But in truth we are more interested in a bargain. As a buyer I can always ship them out or do it myself. I would be afraid of almost doubling the cost of any product that I was selling.
Just my .02 cents worth.

wayneis

Lee, I would prefer stabilized because I like how they finish. I've had some blanks that had been stabilized and they really didn't even need a finish because of all of the resins that the blank soaked up in the process. You should know that not all wood will even benifit by stabilizing because any of the more dence wood will not absorb the resins from the process.

I would think that any of the blanks especially like the jarrah burl that have natural inclusions or voids I've seen around would benifit greatly.

I would say that 75% of the blanks that I already purchase has been stabilized and quite a few of the blanks that have not been I end up sending in to have it done. It just makes such a difference and I have problems (health) when I use CA.

My ten cents,

Wayne

jkirkb94

Lee, as with some I prefer the stablized blanks because of the resins and how they finish so well. But like others I would tend buy less of stabilized and more of non. Kirk[8D]

Lee,
I prefer non stabilized blanks. Were I to purchase stabilize blanks it would be for a special pen or for some reason like a burl that is notorious for chipping out.

Rudy Vey

I like the stabilized blanks a lot, too and like Wayne said, they finish just great. I have started to send out blanks for stabilization (River Ridge Products, Carol and Steve White) and the results are stunning, well worth the money.
Rudy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom