Stabilized, dyed wood expectations.....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodscavenger

I was doing a dyed, stabilized blank the other day and when I cut, drilled, and turned the thing even though the outside seemed well dyed the inside was only about 70% dyed. What are your expectations from suppliers? Do I return it, ask for a replacement, or eat it?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gary

Originally posted by woodscavenger
<br />I was doing a dyed, stabilized blank the other day and when I cut, drilled, and turned the thing even though the outside seemed well dyed the inside was only about 70% dyed. What are your expectations from suppliers? Do I return it, ask for a replacement, or eat it?

That's the problem with dyed/stabilized blanks...sometimes georgous...sometimes blah! And they are hard as concrete.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
I'd suggest contacting the supplier. This may be normal for their method of dyeing and stabilizing. If not, they may want to offer you a replacement. Either way you will know whether or not to order from them again.

jdavis

Talk to your supplier.I agree with Lou. Suppliers are not aware of the problems we experience unless we contact them with problems with their products.

wayneis

Woods absorbsion rates very greatly. I have had this same thing and its just one of those things. Sometimes a piece that is a touch softer will absorb enought to dye the blank all the way through and the next will only dye parts of it here and there. You could try to talk to the supplier but I would think that it is just one of those things that we will have to except. If too many people start returning blanks because the dye didn't turn out as exspected our prices are going to reflect that. Most companies that sell stabilized dyed wood blanks talk about the different absorbsion rates in fact.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom