Stabilized blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary

Do you finish stabilized blanks the same as you do unstablized ones, or do the resins interfer with lacquer, poly, etc?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jkirkb94

Gary, I have only done a few stabilized blanks but have found that the resins are a finish themselves. You might try to get some MicroMesh sanding sheets or pads. They go up to 12000 grit. Polishing the stabilized blanks to 12000 gives a beautiful gloss. You can still use other finishes but may find them unnecessary. Kirk[8D]

wayneis

I turn mostly stabilized blanks and still use a finish on each and every pen that I make. I have heard a few that don't but I don't belive that the resins offer enough protection. You can get a very nice shine on a lot of the stabilized blanks but if you sand just plain wood the same way, there are many types that will also take an incredible shine. The only blanks that I use no finish is acrylics.

I use Enduro poly and have in the past used CA and have never had any problems with a finish not adhearing to a stabilized blanWayne

Gary

You're right Kirk...I noticed that Micro Mesh polishes them marvelously. I was wondering how they would hold up in use over time, if it would be a problem without a topcoat.

PenWorks

Hi Gary, finish same way as any other pen. But a stabilized blank will allow you other alternatives as in "short cuts" Like Kirk said, I use MM to 12000, that alone will give you a nice satin sheen, or even a slight gloss depending on the blank, you can leave it like that, buff or friction polish. Nothing like having a variety of choices. Anthony

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom