Stabilized Blank Shrinkage

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
This is a stabilized box elder blank that I turned last fall. Wifey grabbed it that very night..it matched her blouse :confused:.

You can ignore the dull finish as it is true to form... Noobs start with wax finishes that last...oh 12 minutes!

However. The fittings were good when done! Now 3 of 4 have shrunk back noticably...

Enlighten me Master Obe Wan. :alien:

Attachments

• IMG_0476.jpg
    IMG_0476.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_0479.jpg
    IMG_0479.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
This was a purchased blank... suspecting PSI/Berea/ or CSUSA.. Please note - NO issue with the vendor - I'm JUST LEARNING!!!

Let's see... Work on the tube length.. Yup, That might work; especially since I want to redo the finish so it will look better within... 12 minutes!

Originally, the blanks looked awesome, so this is a "save me..." project! :)

BUT: Why the shrinkage???

Last edited:

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
If it is truly shrinkage and not parts that have backed out as suggested above, then my opinion is the stabilizing was not done using the best practices. There are a LOT of variations in stabilizing practices. My guess was the wood was not 100% dry before it was stabilized.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
If it is truly shrinkage and not parts that have backed out as suggested above, then my opinion is the stabilizing was not done using the best practices. There are a LOT of variations in stabilizing practices. My guess was the wood was not 100% dry before it was stabilized.

OK. No problem with the possible issue... Then, how to ovoid in the future. CA Finish/other finish/other avenues... ? Just asking! (different vendor... shss...I didn't say that)..

Thanks for the advice!!!:cowboy:

jcm71

The brass tubes did not shrink. After disassembly, if the brass is not flush with the end of the blank, Curtis is probably right. If it is flush, I go with Todd; loose fittings. Of course if the blank is flush on one end and raised on the other, they are both right. (sorry that is the wine talking)

I would try pressing things together again. If things tighten up I would look at the glue on the tube. It could be the tube didn't take the glue well? Did you scuff up the tubes well with coarse sandpaper before gluing them up? What did you use for glue on the tubes? I am noticing that only the middle is looking like it has a gap can you push so the gap is at either end? This again would look like the tube is not glued in correctly?

Jim Burr

Banned
That wood wasn't dry when you pressed the parts...JMHO...but that's classic shrinkage.
Mike has a good thought in trying to re-press the parts. Even then, the tube extension is gonna be an issue. Life is to short to turn crappy wood!!

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I'll try to push things together (tomorrow). Then I'll try to disassemble and check all the measurements (tomorrow). If all else fails Red wine... (tonight) sounds like a possibility! :eek:

Thanks for the thoughts - It WILL work out!!!

Well if the entire thing presses back together then you need to figure out if the tube is glued securely. If it is not you will need to reglue it. If it is just the parts that are not tight then Plano_Harry has given you the answer.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I'll try to push things together (tomorrow). Then I'll try to disassemble and check all the measurements (tomorrow). If all else fails Red wine... (tonight) sounds like a possibility! :eek:

Thanks for the thoughts - It WILL work out!!!

OK! THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR THE SUGGESTIONS!!! IT DID WORK OUT :).

So here's what I did. I disassembled the entire pen (thank you to those that suggested the Harbor Freight Kit in a different thread (...I think Edstreet), it has paid its cost this week. It came apart without any damaged pieces! :)

All ends had tubes showing... So, assembly was fine - the stabilized (or not) blanks has shrunk slightly. I took a chance and took the easy path - I milled the ends flush again with my drill press/carbide bit. Very slow, but came out OK. I then re-polished both blanks with micromesh, and used 8 coats of General Wood Turners Finish (the first time I used this). After a day to dry, reassembled, the fit was good and the slightly shorter tubes did not seem to matter. Whew!!!

For using the WTF for the first time... I like it!

Again thanks for the suggestions - A rescue pen! (Back in Wifey's purse about an hr ago...:mad:

Before and after pictures:

Attachments

• IMG_0476.jpg
    IMG_0476.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0479.jpg
    IMG_0479.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_0491.jpg
    IMG_0491.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_0493.jpg