To Stabilize or not to Stabilize???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GregHaugen

First of all, this is my first post.

I see stabilized and "natural" blanks in catalogs. Now, I understand some materials need some extra "hardening", like some of the palm species and other softer materials. How important to a pen is stabilization? For instance "stabilized" burl versus a "natural" kiln dried burl pen blank?

Second question, is there a source where wood could be sent to be stabilized? I have a good size piece of "black bean" from Australia. Alot of pens could be yielded from it. It's Kiln dried. I've been told it would be better if stabilized?

Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

The biggest advantage I can think of is that stabilized blanks are less prone to crack due to humidity changes.

Most pens (99%) I've turned are from natural wood, only a few (less than 5) are stabilized and had no problems. I did sell some tubed blanks to Canada and I was told they cracked! :frown: :eek:

Can't recall the best place to stabilize blanks but I am sure someone will come up with it soon. :wink:

Tuba707

Welcome =)
I have been able to successfully turn all sorts of un-stabilized materials that certainly could have benefitted from the stabilization, but it was not necessary. Although, as Dario pointed out, it helps with not only the turning but the movement after turning.

I use copious amounts of thin CA while turning fragile stuff. It really helps stabilize the material, even though it is not "professionally" stabilized.

River Ridge.... or someplace like that... I think has been recommended for stabilizing. Google is your friend =)

Rudy Vey

River Ridge Products is the right place for stabilization, their pricing is not bad at all. I have had a lot of wood blanks stabilized there, and I like to use stabilized wood for the reason already mentioned. Some woods definitely will benefit from this procedure: spalted woods, soft woods like the ancient Kauri, and woods that are a bit punky.

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
River Ridge Products is the right place for stabilization, their pricing is not bad at all. I have had a lot of wood blanks stabilized there, and I like to use stabilized wood for the reason already mentioned. Some woods definitely will benefit from this procedure: spalted woods, soft woods like the ancient Kauri, and woods that are a bit punky.
DITTO!!!! http://www.rrpwhite.com/stabilizing page.htm

Top Bottom