Stabalizing

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fleabit

I know this subject has been pounded into the ground, but I have not seen or found anything about just soaking the blank in a sealed can of Poly. Has anyone done this and if so, does it work for the amount of time it would take to soak in?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Flea, the only thing I have seen on poly involved pulling a vacuum over the can of poly and the blank would sink in it. That's all I remember, but it was at this site; so the search function might pullit up. BTW, send it to http://www.rrpwhite.com/ and let Steve do it for you correctly and economically. Just my $.02 worth.

Gary

Just soaking the blank is not the same. The objective of pulling a vacumn on the reservoir is to "evacuate" the blank, i.e., pull the air out of the pores and voids in the wood. Evacuating it allows the poly to flow into those empty pores and voids replacing the air and thereby penetrating deep inside the blank.

Just soaking it in poly will only let the polu penetrate a few mm deep.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Months ago I tried Minwax ® High Performance Wood Hardener. I drilled some blanks for slimlines at 9/32" and turned them down leaving about an extra 1/8" of wood on the rounds. I let the blanks dry for 2 days before turning them. The blanks stunk up the house badly. It penetrated just fine in 2 days, but changed the color of the wood fairly dramatically. I was not at all satisfied. Just my experience, and no knock on the product.

Gary

I too highly recommend River Ridge Products. Steve has stabilized blanks for me, and I've been very pleased with the work and the service.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
I have about 6 pounds of blanks at River Ridge right now... can't wait to get them back... I sent them some curly koa, curly eucalyptus, spalted beech, spalted red oak, spalted red elm, some gorgeous curly redwood and some corn cobs... Wayne recommended them to me as the best around and even Bill B said to give them a try... was good enough for me... will post some pics when I get them back.. should be next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom