!st Jr Gent and a question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alinc100

Hi All,
Spent some time in the shop today and was able to make a pen using a JrGent kit from Smitty's Pen Works.Thanks to Smitty for the quick shipping,as always.
I ran into a problem when I went to trim the larger cap barrel.I did not have a barrel trimming sleeve that matched the diameter of the brass tube.i ended up freehanding it close on a disc sander and then block sanded it to finished size.

My disc sander is not stable,accurate enough to build a jig like I have seen here on the forum/library.

Are there other inserts that I need to purchase?

Thanks,
Andy

Attachments

• IMG_0077a (Medium).jpg
    IMG_0077a (Medium).jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_0073a (Medium).jpg
    IMG_0073a (Medium).jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 145
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Lenny

Drill a 1/4" hole in a srap piece of hardwood and carefully turn it to the proper size. ... sneak up on it ...
Or, you can purchase sleeves ... I believe the PSI Tycoon kit uses the same drill bits and therefore the same sleeves. You can often purchase them as a package where they throw in the drills and sleeves for free.

btw,... Nice Pen !

Last edited:

mb007

+1 on what Lenny said. I purchased a pack of 7mm pen tubes for about $4 and a poplar dowel at the home improvement store. I cut and drilled the dowel as if I were making a pen, glued in the brass tube, and then turned it down very carefully as Lenny suggests. Then I can just use my regular 7mm trimmer!

for about $5, I have enough supplies to make 10 sleeves.

Drill a 1/4" hole in a srap piece of hardwood and carefully turn it to the proper size. ... sneak up on it ...
Or, you can purchase sleeves ... I believe the PSI Tycoon kit uses the same drill bits and therefore the same sleeves. You can often purchase them as a package where they throw in the drills and sleeves for free.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
tube

Hi All,
Spent some time in the shop today and was able to make a pen using a JrGent kit from Smitty's Pen Works.Thanks to Smitty for the quick shipping,as always.
I ran into a problem when I went to trim the larger cap barrel.I did not have a barrel trimming sleeve that matched the diameter of the brass tube.i ended up freehanding it close on a disc sander and then block sanded it to finished size.

My disc sander is not stable,accurate enough to build a jig like I have seen here on the forum/library.

Are there other inserts that I need to purchase?

Thanks,
Andy
If you don't have a spare 7mm tube laying around I'll send you one free - just PM if you need it.

GColeman

+2 on Lenny and mdb007 methods. Its good practice too.

I you happen to have an Olympian Elite kit one of the trimmer sleeves fit the top of the Jr Gent 2. Making you own is the best Idea though.

Dave Turner

Hi Andy,

I dislike using barrel trimmers. Unless they are razor sharp, they risk marring the end of your blanks (I"ve lost a few that way). I now use a disc/belt sander ($50 from Harbor Freight when on sale) and it works great.

I also had my eye on the blank squaring concept show in this thread. I already have the transfer punch set and Jacobs chuck (I do all my drilling on the lathe). It should be simple to fashion a flat plate for the headstock and square it up. A few small circles of adhesive-backed sandpaper and you're good to go.

Dave

thewishman

I make my own sleeves out of acrylic or corian - that way they don't change with humidity. If I use wood for a sleeve, it is stabilized wood.

Nice to see you posting, Andy.

Top Bottom