Squaring tubes on Jr Gent

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

samuel07

I recently turned my first navigator kit and was able to square the blanks using my pen mill with a 3/8" tip and the other tube with the 7mm tip with a sierra delrin sleeve and a spare sierra tube over that, worked well with no problems. My question is, what do I need with the Jr Gent? I just ordered several kits. Is there a delrin sleeve for the 1/2" tube?

Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

Make one from something. I have sleeves for all kits I've made. I use scrap wood...it's free. BTW, I use a disk sander to square blanks. But, pen mills work just fine.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by samuel07
<br />I recently turned my first navigator kit and was able to square the blanks using my pen mill with a 3/8" tip and the other tube with the 7mm tip with a sierra delrin sleeve and a spare sierra tube over that, worked well with no problems. My question is, what do I need with the Jr Gent? I just ordered several kits. Is there a delrin sleeve for the 1/2" tube?

Thanks.

reed43

If you will get a set of tubes from a jr gent ballpoint pen they will fit on the pen mills you use for the navigator and serve as sleeves. Reed

hombre4

I use the punch set from HF and a "V" block. Square up the mitre gage and clamp it down. Works great, especially on those big tubes and soft materials like sponge and corn cob. Usung a pen mill on those softer materials tend to tear out chunks, or at least for me. Besides you don't have to make an insert for all the sizes that are not available.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Usung a pen mill on those softer materials tend to tear out chunks,
For those who are having tear outs when using a pen mill, a little thin CA drrizzled or painted on the end grain prior to making the last "plunge" with the mill works wonders.
Give it a shot of accelerant after a minute or two and you are good to go.
(Use paringly on light colored woods it may darker them.)

airrat

Agree with Eagle, little CA saves from tear outs. I have alot of scrap wood so I made inserts for most of mine using 7mm tubing. Just bought the long one and cut to sizes I needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom