Squaring question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

fshenkin94

What could I be doing wrong during the squaring process that would result in the barrel fitting extremely tight on the mandrel. It is so tight that it is bearly fitting on without really forcing it, which I am affraid to do because it might put a bend in the mandrel.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Try chamfering the ends of your tubes after squaring them. Chances are, you're actually cutting a tiny bit of the brass tubing during squaring, and its inducing a burr around the I.D. Chamfering should take care of it.

fiferb

You may be putting a burr on the inside of the tube. Especially if you are squaring it down to the point where you are seeing brass. Two things, don't take it down quite so far. Second, either file down the inside of the tube or what I use is a counter sink bit (not that I do this very often [;)]). I do this by hand so as to just take the burr off.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I have had this problem lately, even when I don't touch the brass in squaring. So, last time I was buying shell casings, I saw a reamer that was fairly sharp fins, it is used for reloading. I now use it to ream out the brass and also to remove any CA that might be in the tube. Everything fits much better, now!!

Rmartin

Probably you've gotten a little glue inside the tube. Or, the brass could be slightly crimped. Either way, I use a drill bit, gun cleaning bristles, or round hasp to clean out tubes. Can be done by hand or with a hand held power drill.

Rmartin

Firefyter-emt

I think you have a glue issue as well. What do you use for glue? CA, Epoxy, or Poly?

I use mostly Poly (Gorilla Glue) and I find that if I do a kit with CA it's much harder to see and remove the CA than the poly glue, all you need is a slight drop inside the tube to bind you up.

leehljp

Member Liaison
One of my often used <s>tubes</s> tools is the chamfering tool from Arizona Silhouette. Scroll about half way down for reamer.

http://www.arizonasilhouette.com/Barrel_Trimers.htm

DKF

Originally posted by leehljp
<br />One of my often used tubes is the chamfering tool from Arizona Silhouette. Scroll about half way down for reamer.

http://www.arizonasilhouette.com/Barrel_Trimers.htm

DITTO....I use it on every blank and recommend it highly.

Randy_

I just use a half inch drill bit. Or sometimes just a simple utility knife if it is closer at hand than the drill bit.

Because of the sharper angle of the chamfering tool, I expect it would perform better on tubes that are seriously deformed or on the tubes of the bigger kits; but the 1/2" drill bit and the utility knife have always worked just fine for me.

Buzz

A little Exacto knife does it for me. You just need to take the burr off. If any glue is obvious, that comes off at the same time. Although its rarely an issue with CA, other glues tend to cause this problem for me.

CHICAGOHAND

Right after gluing the tube in I use a Q tip dipped in acetone to clean out any ca glue.
I also use a small round file, the same one used for sharpening chain saw blades very lightly to clean up just the very edge of the tube.
I have had a problem with the clip wanting to spin after using the pen a while so I am careful about how much material I remove.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Originally posted by thewishman
<br />I just use a utility knife.

Chris

(And others noted this.)

I have a serious tool addiction, especially for ones that I can and will use; for tools that are designed for the job and do it well! I ain't proud, I will use a well designed finely crafted tool (if I can afford it) instead of my noggin any day. [:D]

Rifleman1776

I thought you were supposed to pound them on with a big mallet. [:0]

20071030135141_rofl.gif
<br />

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom