Squaring on the lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DFerguson777

Where have I seen a MT2 jig for sale to sand/square blanks on the lathe that have been turned and finished between centers??? I can picture it in my head, bt can't think of the site to save my life!!!
help?!?
-Denny- NC

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Do you have a transfer punch set??? Just pick the size you need to fit the tube and put in your drill chuck in the tailstock. Use some stickyback sandpaper on a faceplate of somesort on the head stock and push the tailstock up close and slide the tube up against the spinning headstock with the faceplate. Keep the speed slow. Good to go. That is how I do it. No need for another gadget.

workinforwood

If the blanks is completely finished and now you just want to sand the CA off that dripped over the ends, a Collet Chuck is what I use. Just wrap a layer of masking tape over the blank, stick it in the right sized collet, a piece of wood with some fine sandpaper on it and a couple seconds later, the ends are clean and square.

aggromere

I drill on the lathe and I square on the lathe. It was a tip from butch here on the forums.

to square I mount the rounded and drilled blank in my collet chuck or four jaw chuck and use a straight edge skew chisel against the end to square them. I haven't had any problems since I started doing that. I just go lightly till I get the end of the brass tube shiny. If there is a lot of extra wood to take off I cut off most of it with my table saw before I square it.

also, if you are just finishing the ends, not trying to square them, get a sanding mill from Exotic blanks. When Johnny CNC is back up to full speed he can make custom sanding mill sleeves for you to use.

MobilMan

If you have a mandrel, you have a perfect sanding mill. Cut a small piece of sticky backed paper with a 1/4 hole in it and slide it over the mandrel. The end of the MT2 is the same thing. Works the same. It will work for any pen you make.

bnoles

If you have a mandrel, you have a perfect sanding mill. Cut a small piece of sticky backed paper with a 1/4 hole in it and slide it over the mandrel. The end of the MT2 is the same thing. Works the same. It will work for any pen you make.

You should get an award for this tip.... Thanks!

CHICAGOHAND

CHICAGOHAND'S method

Here is how I do it with great success.
One old mandrel. Some sand paper your choice of grit. One hole puncher. If you are doing tubes bigger than 7mm then make some adapter tubes starting with a piece of material with a 7mm tube glued into and then turn to correct size that fits inside the bigger tubes. You will have to make one for each different inner diameter. With this method you don't have to glue any paper to anything just hold paper and mandrel nuts and turn blank. It is easy and cheap. And your end product will be greatly improved.

Attachments

• 100_1291.jpg
    100_1291.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 147
  • 100_1292.jpg
    100_1292.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 136
Top Bottom