Squaring large diameter

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

philk

I am beginning to make the larger diameter pens such as the El Grande. How do you square the ends on these larger pens[?] The barrel trimmer kit from Woodcraft only goes up to 10mm. Thanks[?]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Phil, many of us make adapters. I use Corian, drill a 1/4" hole in it and then turn it down to where it fits through the tube of the kit. Obviously you would need two for the El Grande. I like corian as it is more stable. If you use scrap wood, drill a 7mm hole and glue in a slimline tube prior to turning. Both of these will fint on the 7mm shaft of your kit and end mill the larger kits. BTW, label your adapters! [8D]

kent4Him

It amazes me that they have not come up with barrel trimmer shafts for the Jr. series. Just the number sold in group buys would justify creating them.

Phil,
Arizona Silhouette sells adapters made out of UHMW plastic or delrin. I got a block of UHMW plastic from Woodcraft and use it turn my own adapters. Like wdcav1952 states above, just drill 1/4" hole and turn them to the inside diameter of your kit tubes. The 7mm pen mill will slip into the 1/4" hole and the rest is just the same as squaring up any other blank. If you can't find Corian or UHMW plastic pieces around, let me know and I can send you some for the cost of postage.

Top Bottom