Squaring a Jr.Gent Blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

mick

Ok somebody help me. How do I square this Jr. Gent blank with a big old gaping hole in each end?....lol are there adapters out there for the 7mm barrel trimmer I have? Or do I just turn one on lets say.........a lathe.....lol. Maybe I just answered my on question!
Thanks guys!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

yup, you did. Twice, actually. Woodcraft sells some adaptors, but most people have turned their own. I got some Corian for just that purpose.

Oh, and PSI sells a whole kit of different sizes.

Good luck!

woodscavenger

A disk sander can bite you in the butt unless you make a great jig that uses the brass tube as a guide but you would need an adapter for that as well. The easiest thing to do in my opinion is to use some spare 7mm tubes or salvage a set slimline blanks that didn't quite look as good as expected and turn one of them to fit the I.D. of the tube. It does not have to be perfect, just good enough to give yourself some decent alignment.

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
Sometimes a bite in the butt isn't a bad thing [:D][}:)][:D]

Originally posted by woodscavenger
<br />A disk sander can bite you in the butt unless you make a great jig that uses the brass tube as a guide but you would need an adapter for that as well. The easiest thing to do in my opinion is to use some spare 7mm tubes or salvage a set slimline blanks that didn't quite look as good as expected and turn one of them to fit the I.D. of the tube. It does not have to be perfect, just good enough to give yourself some decent alignment.

wayneis

The only thing that I have used for squaring blanks for the last six or eight months is a disk sander. I fand it much more acurite and pretty to do. I don't have to mess around trying to sharpen any barrell trimers, just made a few bushings that fit inside the different tubes and go for it. Oh ya, I cheated and bought a jig from PSI instead of making my own but hell I'd rather make pens, what can I say.

Wayne

Gary

I second what Wayne said. I use nothing but a disc sander. I made a jig using an old mandrel then a few adapter sleeves. It works much better for me than fussing around with barrel trimmers/mills.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom