squaring blank ends

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

How ever fast your hand can spin the tool. Make a handle for it and attach it to the handle. Use is as a hand tool, not in a power drill or the drill press. I know many of us(and some of us don't) use it in a drill or drill press but the pen mill is to mill the end of the blank not to remove 1/8" or more of wood. I've seen blanks at some of the freedom pen turn-a-thons milled with 3/8" long holes in the end of the blanks to get to the tube ends. That's my take on pen mills and many will not agree with me. But, I'll stick to my guns. Proper speed in a drill....maybe someone else can help you there.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by GABJR
<br />when using a pen mill to square up the blank ends, what is the proper speed setting for this operation

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I use the same speed I drill at.I am also one who mills as much as an 1/8th off the ends.( sometimes more).Milling by hand is hard on the wrists.The mechanical advantage of the DP makes quick work.I do not find it hard on the mill.Steel is harder than wood, bone, acrylics, and even non ferrous metals.
To mill by hand to me would be the same idea as turning a twist bit into wood with a a handle.I suppose it could be done, but why?
The pen mill to me works on the same principle as a router bit used to make a bottom cut in a rabbet.
Most of my methods are unorthodox.
If they don't work I adapt and overcome.Been doing this way for over two years.The only mill I ever had a problem with is the first one I bought, from woodcraft.Cheap small shanked one that broke after a year of use.
I use the PSI ones now with the interchangeable shafts.No problems with them occasionally hone them myself.I resentments sent one to a sharpener. When I got it back it worked better than new.

reef12

I agree with Virgil.

Do all mine by hand with hand made handle works great for me.

Now if I was doing 100 blanks would think of something else.

But I am new so maybe I don't know enough[;)]

RonSchmitt

I have the Penn State blank cutting jig, it is slightly modified and mounted semi-permanently to my chop saw. I have not had to mill the ends of a blank ince setting it up. Not a bad little jig for the price.

Skye

I've milled holes big enough to house a small family. But, I dont have a bandsaw and I just sawes through my miter box, so it's a matter of nessesity sometimes.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by RonSchmitt
<br />I have the Penn State blank cutting jig, it is slightly modified and mounted semi-permanently to my chop saw. I have not had to mill the ends of a blank ince setting it up. Not a bad little jig for the price.
You must have a heck of a DP if you can drill that plumb in reference to the outside of the blank.
In 2 years of making pens I have never had a tube come square to the end of a blank.[:D]

jthompson1995

I use a combination, I use a cordless drill to take off most of the excess, then use a mill by hand to get it right to the tube. If it is a softer blank or tears out when I start, I use my sander. I don't trust my drill press for squaring.

cozee

I use my DP set at the slowest speed. Typically I try to cut my blanks to leave about 1/16" on each end once the tube is inserted. There have been times though, that I've milled off a 1/4" or so!!

kenwc

I Mill at the same speed I drill also. I also have that Penn State Blank cutting jig...but...I can't imagine it being accurate enough to not have to use a pen mill afterwards. That must be one rock solid and consistent setup. (I'd like to se pics of how it was semi-permantly mounted)

Mattmck

I use barrell trimmer/guide in my drill press. Hold the blank with a Jorgenson Clamp (handscrew). Works like a charm. Even better since I read the thread on sharpening barrell trimmers.

Paul in OKC

Originally posted by wdcav1952
<br />
Originally posted by Paul in OKC
<br />Cordless drill for me. Hold the blanks in hand modt of the time. Sometimes put them loosely in a vise.

Dang, Paul, looks like I am in good company if I use the same method you use! [;)]
Well, great minds do think alike, don't they say[:D]

wade

I put my blanks in a vise, then use the cordless drill at the fastest setting. I go real slow as well. Also, I tend to go up and down quite a bit. When I see the tube go from dull to a shine, I know i'm done. Takes me about 30 seconds to mill both sides of 2 pen blanks.

Wade

sandking

Originally posted by Paul in OKC
<br />Cordless drill for me. Hold the blanks in hand modt of the time. Sometimes put them loosely in a vise.

Paul you should try a vise that someone on this forum makes instead of using your hands. Everyone raves about it and I have one on order. I will look for his screen name!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom