Squaring???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

kstrohpaul

Newbie Question. Which is better for Squaring your blanks, barrel trimmer or Disc Sander. I appears to me that using a Disc Sander would be easier, but easier is rarely better. Thanks in advanced from a guy whos lights are not always on....[:I]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Keith,

Plenty of reasons to use either. The important thing to remember as someone pointed out earlier this week is to make sure that the blank is square to the end of the tube, not just that the blank is square at the ends. So, either method will require the proper tools. I use the barrel trimmer set from PSI and made spacers for the tube sizes that are not included. Others do very well with jigs to square the tube to the disc sander.

There, that should answer all your questions, right? [:D]

Keith, if oyu will go to the jigs section of the forum, you will find several discussions/ homemade joigs that can help along the way. Someone also (Fred in NC?) made a pen mill that uses sanding sheets that he is selling.

BogBean

I use both. I start with the pen mill first and then if a blank needs to be clean up a little I have a jig for my small disc sander that I use...

Thumbs

Keith, I have and use both, too. Little difference in accuracy. If the blank is a little extra long the mill will cut to the tube faster. Both require attention. Both work fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom