Square Blanks?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

tomy2

I am having a very hard time making my blanks square when I cut them to size. I have a band saw, compound miter, and hand saws. Seems like everything I use to cut the blanks they come out not square......help!![V]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tipusnr

I wouldn't get hyper about this unless the narrowest thickness of your blanks is too small because your going to round them anyway. That's if your talking about cutting blanks from larger wood.

If your talking about cutting your blanks into sections your pen mill will do the final squaring to the hole you drilled.

Wish I could tell you why that's happening. On your compound miter the only thing that can go wrong is if your fence isn't square to the blade when set at 90 degrees. You should be able to check that with a square. Your owner's manual should be able to tell you the alignment correction technique as it is a part of saw set up.

As for the band saw...I'm still fighting with mine but drawing a line with a square and then following it across a pen blank hasn't been a problem. Is your table square to the side of the blade and is the tension right? Those are the only things I know to check there.

Hope this helps.

tomy2

Thanks for the info...I will try the things that you said........thanks again!

G

It isn't a big deal,...
BUT
I may make a difference in the drilling jig you use and having you holes run off center.
I don't clamp my drilling device down nor do I use a back up board for the bottom of the blanks.
I made a sled for my bandsaw using an extra miter gauge and I can cross or rip cut the blanks w/out any drift to speak of.
Wait till you try a curved antler! Now there's real Fun!
I would stick with thte band saw for the cross cut,it will take out the least material and make it easier to line of the grains.
The miter is too aggressive for my taste.
The pen mill will cure all ills.
Remember to test fit the tubes first!
(DAMHIKT)
As far as square goes that isn't necessary,but it must be straight.
I rough out thte corn cobs to get rid of the fuzz berfore I drill them.
I use a home made jig in a machinist vice.

CL

On the DIY website there is an article about bandsaw tune up and maintenance.

http://www.diynet.com/diy/wk_tools/article/0,2037,DIY_14429_2278285,00.html

Scroll down to the section "Band Saw: Adjusting for Blade Drift". This tells you how to adjust your fence for the inherent blade drift of bandsaws.

CL

Glad to be of help. And if anyone who loves woodworking gets bored go to the author of the articles website.

http://www.djmarks.com

But be warned, massive drooling tends to occur. Well ok at least on my part. He definately shows the difference between a craftsman and a true artist with his pieces.

Tom, you shouldn't have a problem if they are not exactly square if you use the center drilling jig from Ryan. It is a little pricey but well worth it. I drill round, uneven tree branches on it and they come out fine and I also use some home made blanks that are as much as 1/2" off square - no problem. Try it, you'll like it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom