springy tip on the Jr Gent II

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

txbatons

I finished my first closed end JGII last night and I really like it. I'll post photos once I get both the camera and pen in the same location.

This is only the 2nd one I've done...the first one I sent to my pen swap partner a couple of months ago...and I didn't write with that one.

Is the tip supposed to be so springy (that's my technical term for going in and out easily)? The length of the pen is fine, but it's not real easy to write with if the tip's like that. Did I miss something?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Randy_

Originally posted by txbatons
<br />.....Is the tip supposed to be so springy (that's my technical term for going in and out easily)? The length of the pen is fine, but it's not real easy to write with if the tip's like that. Did I miss something?

Brian: Springy is sort of relative term and what is objectionable to you may not be so to someone else. However, the basic answer to your question is that there should not be any spring in the tip; but since the ink cartridge is held in place by a spring there will always be some movement.....moreso for writers with a heavy hand.

My suspicion is that your pen length "IS NOT" correct. I think your barrel is a hair too long or the hole you drilled is a bit too deep and the internal spring is not exerting enough pressure on the refill to keep it firmly in place. Two things you can try. Easiest is to remove the spring and stretch it a little so it will press harder on the refill. Other thing to do would be to make a wooden plug out of scrap wood and stick it in the barrel after removing he spring. Then put the spring back in place. This too should cause the spring to exert more pressure on the refill and reduce/eliminate the springy feeling. I would make a plug that was about 1/8" long. If that doesn't solve the problem add another plug. Sooner or later you will get enough pressure on the spring to hold the refill firmly in place.

Of course, the other possibility is that somehow you just got a weak spring.....so you might try one out of a different kit and see if that makes a diffeence.

gerryr

I've encountered this a lot on Baron because they supply a really cheesy little spring, but I don't think I've ever had problems with a Jr. Gent/Statesman. The quick way to solve it is to just remove the spring and stretch it a bit. You may also be pressing too hard and it just seems "springy." Rollerballs are a lot like fountain pens, they don't need pressure to write.

txbatons

I'll try both tomorrow. Thanks for the help. I asked about the length to drill for a closed-end JGII and the only answer I got was 3", so I drilled exactly 3". I've written with a lot of different pens in my life and this just moves too much.

I do appreciate the suggestions!

Randy_

This is purely speculative as I don't have both kits in front of me. The JG II comes in both a posting and a non-posting version. I think the assembled posting version might be slightly longer than the non-posting version because the end caps are a little different. This could cause a little variation if your data source measured the wrong kit or maybe they just mismeasured??

Exactly how CSUSA might compensate for that possible difference, I have no idea. Maybe they provide different length springs for each version or maybe.....?

Getting measurements like that over the Internet can be tricky as it is easy to misunderstand the details or get them confused. They should be used with extreme care. If you have an unassembled kit, you should be able to determine the necessary depth on your own. Take a refill and insert it into the nib that has been screwed into the nib coupler. Slip the trim ring over the nib coupler and then carefully measure the distance from the shoulder of the trim ring to the top of the refill. Be sure that the point of the refill is extended from the nib the exact distance that is should be in normal writing configuration. To that measurement add about one half of the length of the spring and that should be the total depth you need for your hole. The length of the blank will need to be another 1/8" to 1/4" longer than the calculated hole depth. Compare your calculated hole depth against the 3" length you used and see if they are the same or are quite different.

gerryr

I didn't even notice the first time that you said closed end. 3" is too deep for a Junior. It only needs to be the length of the tube plus the depth of the end cap from the shoulder to the inside bottom. That dimension is 2.576", so drill that deep plus a bit more to allow for squaring the end. I believe Fanger used to recommend drill 2.625", but I could be wrong.

txbatons

Gerry...I got an email from someone who said the video from Ariz S. for closed ends suggests drilling to 2 3/4". I'll try that first and go from there. I appreciate the help!

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Brian - As I indicate in my earlier post, the total length of the lower barrel should have been 3". Sorry for misleading you. By the way, you can cut a 1/4" piece of 3/8" dowel and glue it into the bottom of the barrel. That would take up the slack. Again, I'm sorry for the confusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom