Spouse not wanting to sell!!!!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Talfalfa33

Hello All,

Having some issues with my wife that I can't get straight. Let's see how many out there are having the same problems.
To begin with, my spouse likes to collect pens. Every where we go she picks up or snags the pen she uses if it feels comfortable and the right weight. I have a sample case that I have my first few in. But now every different pen I turn, she's wanting to keep for sample. Even if it's the same hardware but a different blank. Or the same blank and same hardware but different coating ( gold vs chrome vs gun metal ). I get told that once we can't get that blank anymore, then she'll let it sell. I say that I can make another and just let me know what it was. And the worst part is that we have two paper case boxes full of pens picked up and where given by drug reps and she knows if I snag even just one pen.
Anyone have these issues or any ideas, please let me know. That way I won't feel alone.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

corian king

I know what you mean Sir. My wife does the same thing not only with pens it's the first of everything I make she grabs.We have a large china cabinet packed full of (firsts). She carrys about 30 pens with her all the time.Now not really complaining on that because she actually sells one once in awhile.
Good Luck!!!

leestoresund

We were doing a show last year and a lady liked a pen that my wife had taken out of her purse.
Lady liked the pen and wanted it.
Wife said "It's used."
Lady: "I don't care."
She sold her the pen. I just replaced the cartridge.
Money talks.

Unless you are a hoarder. :>}

randyrls

I say that I can make another and just let me know what it was. And the worst part is that we have two paper case boxes full of pens picked up and where given by drug reps and she knows if I snag even just one pen.

The solution is simple and obvious, make pens two at a time!

When starting on a new style, or blank material, I often get more than one. The shipping is the same, and if I have an oops moment, I have another blank / pen to fall back on.

Ed McDonnell

Give your wife all the pens she wants and smile while you are doing it. Eventually you are going to want something for the shop that is going to cost enough that you are going to need her to agree to it. All those pens will make a yes a whole lot more likely.

The wife liking and wanting your pens is not a problem. A problem is when the wife is yelling at you for spending all your time in the shop making pens instead of doing the thousands of other things she wants done. Consider yourself lucky.

My wife never "stole" any of my pens, but she would gladly accept every one I gave her. She proudly showed them off every chance she got. She sold way more of my pens than I ever did.

Ed

OOPS

I had a similar problem. I liked to look at the finished pens so much, I built a display so I could look at them all, side by side! I really didn't want to let any of them go.

I am getting better, now. I wonder if we need to start a 12 step program?

bensoelberg

1. Make a nice pen without telling her about.
2. Sell it.
3. Buy her something that she wants more than a pen with the money.
4. Explain how you were able to buy her the present.
5. Watch her open up her pen collection...

ALexG

when I read the first post I said to myself the solution is easy, change the wife, but in my case I would need to change my wife and 4 kids, they are hoarders of pens, and sometimes I regret to see one of my kids pens totally damaged, but of course sure daddy will provide another one ... what can I say I love their smile when they get another pen, I started to give them the ones that they have any visible flaw and they are ok with that

dbledsoe

I love it when my wife wants to keep one. It's a lot easier to buy new tools when she wants what is made with them. I may never sell any, but I get to make a lot.

Top Bottom