Splotchy spots on pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jhogan9600

I'm a newbie and I've turned about 15 or 20 pens so far. I've noticed is some splotchiness near the nib on my acrylic pens. I paint my tubes so the brass doesn't show through the acrylic and scratch the tubes and coat them with epoxy before inserting them. If you've ever seen a bad window tint job on a car.... that's sort of how it looks? I'm thinking it's air... but I don't know. Can anyone help me solve this? :confused:
Thanks,
John

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jedgerton

I expect it's a combination of air and roughness left by the drilling. I see it sometimes on translucent blanks. You might try reverse painting which I'd painting the inside of the blank.

John

zig613

John...

Instead of painting the tube try painting the inside of the blank before gluing in your tubes. I find this works much better than painting the tube itself. This way the glue or the tube will not show through.

Wade

Last edited:

Dan26

I agree with John. Uh, the second John. I had one that looked great except for near one end. After looking a little closer, the epoxy had not adhered to the blank and left a gap that looked like a splotch.

Top Bottom