Splitting Tips ????

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JWS Penworks

Hey all,

Anyone ever have a problem with the tip of your Slimline pens splitting when you insert the tip? I used two different kits yesterday (had to make 20 pens) and I had no problems with the one kit but, a couple of the pens from the other kits split when I inserted the tip. Now, granted, I am still a little new to this, but I didn't do anything different and the only ones that split were from the same company. I used the bushing set that was made for each set. It seemed to me that the fit of the tip in the 7mm tube was not as good on the one kit as the other. I did both kits the same. Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks!
John

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jkeithrussell

What material are you using (wood, acrylic, etc.)?
How are you inserting the tips (hand clamps, pen press, arbor press, etc.)?

purplehaze

cracking

I have had the same problem here, but I am new to this and figured I was doing something wrong. I ordered a starter kit from PSI and had no problems with any of the slim line kits. I then ordered their sampler kit and the pens were cracking when I try and assemble them. So I searched this forum and read posts about possible fixes. Well I bought a small round file to clean out any glue, started to chamfer the tubes before assembling and have resorted to sanding some of the plating off the parts. All that stuff works (most of the time) but I am going to invest in a caliper to see if the plating is too thick. I am a bit frustrated when I purchase a product and have to modify it (sanding the plating off) to get it to work. Disassembling pens and refinishing them due to cracks is not how I want to spend my time.
A couple of things I have yet to try: a brass gun barrel brush to remove glue from the tubes, using Gorilla glue and plugging the tubes with clay before gluing.
The only other thing I can possibly think of is that my 14X14 shed is only heated with a small portable heater so it could be the cold causing the wood to crack. I might have to try assembling the pens in the house.

JWS Penworks

I have made 30 slimlines total, and four have slit. They were 4 of the five kits I bought from a different company than the ones that did not split. I have done everything the same for all kits. I use the bushing made for the kit I m using. I use a round file to ensure that all the glue is out of the tube prior to turning. I recheck it for obstructions prior to assembly. I purchased some different kits from different companies to see which ones I would like the best. I already know which ones I will not be purchasing again. (I do not want to turn this into a public bashing of a supplier, who, whith the exception of this kit, has been a great company to deal with.) I was just wondering if I was the only that ever had this problem and I wanted to check to see if I was taking all the percautions that I could take to avoid this in the future. Thanks for the advice offered up so far. The ones that plit were all made of different species of wood. Also, I am working in the basement of my home which is heated the same as the house.

John

Last edited:

jkeithrussell

Still need to know how you are pressing the parts together. Simply pressing a nib onto the blank/tube should not cause the wood to split whether there is a little glue in the tube or not. If you are using an arbor or a pen press, make double sure that you have the parts lined up straight. From what little is known so far, it seems to me that this is the likeliest scenario (applying pressure while parts are not aligned). Push the nib in by hand as far (and straight) as you can get it before you apply pressure on the arbor or pen press.

The other possibility is that you are apply too much pressure once the nib is seated. Once is goes in far enough to seat, it only harms the pen to keep appying pressure. Use gentle, steady pressure until the nib meets the wood, then stop.

The only other thing I can think of is that the wood you are using may be too dry/brittle. If so, any pressure on the ends will result in cracks or splits.

rick_lindsey

It's a sample of 1, and therefor statistically insignificant, but I'm pretty sure my one split barrel occured when I tried to push the nib in with a pen press (wooden, looks to be shop-made, lives in the club woodshop where I do my turning) when it wasn't aligned properly. I've only used kits purchased at woodcraft, and have done a grand total of 2 slimlines and 4 euros, so I haven't turned enough for my statistics to be meaningful to anyone but myself ;)

-Rick

MikeInMo

My first reaction to the original post was there was misalignment when pressing the nib into the tube. It doesn't take much to split the wood.

Whether different brand nibs are more sensitive to misalignment and therefore more prone to causing cracks seems unlikely to me, but I really don't know.

nava1uni

If the parts are not aligned properly when you press them together they will split. If you have turned the wood too thin and it extends beyond the tube slightly and the part is misaligned it will split; a small amount of glue left in the tube can cause pressure on the tube and cause splitting. I use a gun brush and an exacto knife to clean tubes after gluing and before turning. I also use a reamer to soften the edge of the tube and alignment is easier prior to press fitting.

Top Bottom