Split Buffalo Horn

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevej72

I made this buffalo horn baron several months ago. This morning I noticed that it had split. Does anyone have any ideas on how to prevent this from happening in the future? Glad I hadn't already sold it.

200612304648_DCP_5096.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DocStram

Steve ..... there have been many ... I mean many discussions here about buffalo horn cracking. Check the archives to read all about it.
I've turned about 10 buffalo horn pens. None of have cracked. So, the question is .. what have I done right? The answer: I dunno.
By any chance, are your buffalo horn from CSUSA?

its_virgil

For the price of the blanks and the cracking I've experienced I'll not be purchasing any more of them. I'm 0 for 6. I've had 3 cigars, 1 baron, 1 jr gent, and 1 jr statesman crack. I can remember when these first hit the market a few years back...lots of excitement. Too bad so many have had cracking problems with them. They make beautiful pens.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by Stevej72
<br />I made this buffalo horn baron several months ago. This morning I noticed that it had split. Does anyone have any ideas on how to prevent this from happening in the future? Glad I hadn't already sold it.

Don,
I've made about 4 buffalo horns.. mostly cigar and statesman... I had more problems with the splitting during the drilling.. none have cracked after I finished the pen.

Like Al, I don't know what I did right... I know I let the blank get too hot during the drill... I also have noticed that sometimes there will be little hairline marks in the blanks.. you may have had one that was already cracked and just too much stress on the turning... what did you glue up with? Could your glue continue to cure and maybe expand slightly?

DocStram

Originally posted by ozmandus
<br />Don,
I've made about 4 buffalo horns.. mostly cigar and statesman... I had more problems with the splitting during the drilling.. none have cracked after I finished the pen.

Like Al, I don't know what I did right... I know I let the blank get too hot during the drill... I also have noticed that sometimes there will be little hairline marks in the blanks.. you may have had one that was already cracked and just too much stress on the turning... what did you glue up with? Could your glue continue to cure and maybe expand slightly?

Hey Chuck ... where are your Buffalo Horn from? I have a hunch about this .... but I'll wait for your answer before sticking out my neck.

its_virgil

Chuck,
I"ve had no problems with the drilling or turning, except fot the smell. I used to think that deer antler was unpleasant. Mine cracked well after they were made...maybe 6 weeks or so. Three were return ed and three cracked in my pen case. I use two part epoxy for gluing in all tubes on all materials. Personally, I don't think the glue curing had any effect on the pen's cracking. I think it is just the nature of buffalo horn. I've never had an antler pen crack, that I know of.

My buffalo horn blanks were purchased by a supplier in the Dallas area who resells Penn State products...they were the 3/4" round blanks.

Do a good turn daily!
Don
<br />Don,

Al/Don,
I've bought my buffalo horns from both CSUSA and PennState... I think the ones I have now are from PSI.. they were on sale 2 for $9 or $10... right now they are 2 for $11.95. the catalog recommends soaking in cold water for 12-15 hours before turning.. never did that myself.... also I think the problem with drilling was my fault... too fast, too agressive and large drill bit.
They do stink![:D]

Bob,
If you turn carefully and have good sharp tools, horn is easy to turn... after you get by the smell... and by now I don't mind that too much... my DC is right at the mandrel level and sucks most of that away too... key to horn is take it easy and don't get in a hurry.. plus sharp tools.

its_virgil

The drilling and turning is no problem at all. It drills and turns very nicely. Polishes to a nice and brilliant shine.Buy just sitting in the case they crack. I really don't think the drilling and turning have anything to do with the cracking that seems to come next. If so, it should crack while drilling and turning. I did not soak mine either. Maybe I should have. But I don't need to worry about that any more...won't be turning buffalo horn any more.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
<br />Bob,
If you turn carefully and have good sharp tools, horn is easy to turn... after you get by the smell... and by now I don't mind that too much... my DC is right at the mandrel level and sucks most of that away too... key to horn is take it easy and don't get in a hurry.. plus sharp tools.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Ed4Copies had the same problem.I haven't had one crack, but I havenever turned one that I didn't add a pattern to.
I drizzle thin Ca in the hole after drilling.
I did make one called "Arbez" that had a white tail inlay spiral design with buffalo horn being the mail body of the pen.
Ed and I came to the conclusion the inlays may have stopped any "movment" and cracking.
Arbez

broitblat

Now you tell me! I just turned my first buffalo horn yesterday [V]

No cracks yet, but I guess I won't try to sell this one. I didn't know about the soaking, maybe I'll try that on the next one. I do like the look and feel of the horn, and it turned pretty easy but smelled like singed hair.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Stevej72
<br />I made this buffalo horn baron several months ago. This morning I noticed that it had split. Does anyone have any ideas on how to prevent this from happening in the future? Glad I hadn't already sold it.

Try the imitation horn if it's the look that you want. It should be a lot friendlier. Charles (Tangboy5000) is where I got mine.

randbcrafts

Ive turned several pens with this material and never had a problem at all (knock, knock). I don't soak it in water either. I've purchased from both PSI and CSU. Feel free to send me your extras[:)]

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Lou is right, the imitation horn is a nice looking substitute.

I DO believe that a pen in use would be UNLIKELY to crack. If kept in a shirt pocket, temp and humidity are relatively constant. Moving from an indoor craft show to a car that is close to 0 degrees and 0 humidity CAN'T be good for natural products. But, that IS my world, so I don't make the pen any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom