splated wood precautions?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mywoodshopca

Charlottetown, PEI Canada, Derby Kansas and Canyon
What precautions are needed when using splated woods? A dust mask and air cleaner suffencient?

Heres my current setup

One end of the lathe has a 16" fan blowing across the lathe lengthwise, 14 feet downwind is my ceiling mounted air cleaner. I dont have a dust collector. I do have a small shopvac that I dont use very often though but can set it up for these woods if needed.

The shop is located in a basement and I dont want any dirt from the spalted woods floating into the house.. is this a worry?

Thanks!
Jason

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mywoodshopca

I would definitely wear a mask. I believe that spalting is because of fungus and some have reported breathing problems afterward.

Been weary of doing any before now since I have a daughter that has some allergy problems that likes going to the shop at times..

maybe I should save these for "outdoor" work when the warm weather arrives and I haul a lathe outdoors for nice days ;)

If you're really worried about the spalting.. might I suggest you have the wood stabilized... the spalting would then be sealed in the stabilizing material and less likely to become airborne... personally, I do lots of spalted wood with no problems to report YET.. but I also always work with either a pretty good mask or my respirator. Just the free floating sanding dust can give you some problems without adequate breathing protection.

mywoodshopca

If you're really worried about the spalting.. might I suggest you have the wood stabilized... the spalting would then be sealed in the stabilizing material and less likely to become airborne... personally, I do lots of spalted wood with no problems to report YET.. but I also always work with either a pretty good mask or my respirator. Just the free floating sanding dust can give you some problems without adequate breathing protection.

Wouldnt the spores stilll be released during turning?

I may just make a homemade air cleaner to set right beside the lathe to catch most of the dust then my ceiling one should catch the leftover..

When you think about it, those spores are present in the soil everywhere. I turn a lot of spalted maple and don't wear a mask. If you are more comfortable go ahead and wear one.
I am not aware of any human disease caused by the organisms that cause spalting.

Larry

Jim Smith

I just finished reading a book titled "The Secret Life of Dust". I know, my wife also thinks I read weird books. Anyway, after reading that book, I am definately getting a powered filter full-face dust mask. There are a ton of very serious/life threatening ailments caused by dust; several of them directly related to wood and wood byproducts. Breathing molds and fungus can also cause lot of serious problems. The bottom line is that the smaller the dust particals are (i.e. smoke, fungus spores or perhaps CA fumes???), the more likely that they will get past the defense systems in the nose and throat and actually lodge deep in the lungs only to cause all sorts of nasty problems later. They even have names for some of the lung dieases like cabinet maker's lung specifically to related woodwork. Just some food for thought...

Jim Smith

Fred

Stabilization of problem causing woods is one way of hindering the dangers of breathing their dust. Stabilization is possibly the easiest and cheapest way of protecting yourself unless you are unfortunate enough to be one of those persons that is allergic to the chemicals used in the process.

Spalting is the process of decay caused by fungus that 'eats' away at the wood fibers. If you are not readily allergic to the spalting fungus now does not mean that you will always be non-reactive. To be allergic is one thing but to become sensitized to the spalt is far worse.

Do a search on allergic versus sensitized and you will learn that neither is good for your health. Sensitized is worse in that you become allergic to the material and the problems get worse with each exposure as the body just simply cannot cure itself. There are many examples of where folks were not reactive to poison ivy and then all of a sudden they can't get near the stuff without having to go to the hospital. Same thing happens when you become sensitized.

Do a google search on allergic reaction to woods and get an education on the dangers of many of the woods we all work with. For instance Rosewoods and the Oak species. Many can't work with these materials without great risks to their health.

It is just a matter of time before you will develop a very nasty problem if you are not careful that CAN BE A LIFE altering problem FROM THEN ON.

It is wayyyyyy cheaper to take adequate precautions than it is to take risks with your health.

Last edited:

Skye

My right hand is still sliiiiiiiiiiiiightly red from something I worked on a few weeks ago. Also, oddly enough, my second toe on my right foot also broke out. Guess I got some dust in my shoe. Very strange, but I won't be working on anything spalted again until I get a full helmet setup and a dust collector. Just not worth it.

Hate to think how I would have reacted if I hadn't worn my respirator.

JohnLifer

Guys, not just spalted. If you do any work in exotics be careful. I have reaction to Padauk. Belly rash and on forearms. Don't use it any more and try to watch out for other woods also. Built up this reaction as it didn't happen at first turning....

Dario

Guys, not just spalted. If you do any work in exotics be careful. I have reaction to Padauk. Belly rash and on forearms. Don't use it any more and try to watch out for other woods also. Built up this reaction as it didn't happen at first turning....

I agree BUT don't limit it to exotics...local wood can do the same.

Remember, safety first applies everywhere. Better safe than sorry.

Like Skye, I too got sensitized...up to date I don't know with what but it partly is to blame for my stopping with turning all together.

John,
I have trouble with Paduak too... I got a rash on my upper chest and forearms.. and nothing but absolutely nothing would ease the itch, except time.. took about two and half weeks before it stopped. One reason I went to a smock.. long sleeve and tight around the neck from Lee valley to turn in.. keep as much off me as possible.. and always a full face shield and mask or respirator.

Fred

From what I have read in this thread it is evident that good folks here are experiencing what I have seen happen all to often ... that is, many are now so sensitized that they have had to either quit all together or to take extra precautions to prevent out breaks.

THAT in a nut shell is the reason so many of us MUST take these precautions early on from the very beginning. I was a fraud investigator for several major health insurance companies for many years. In my experiences I learned right away that IF one is prone to any form of allergies, then that individual must take extra precautions right from the beginning if they want to avoid long term complications later on.

I have always "preached" that dust collection is mandatory. One just can't seem to have to much dust collection available. I have found over the years that it is best to collect dust and debris immediately at the tool creating the offending material.

I have a LocLine system mounted to my banjo that is adjustable and moved along the wood being worked as I move my cutting tool or the banjo. I collect the majority of debris as it comes off the cutting tool and right at the cutting edge. It takes a bit of getting used to, but in the long run the extra effort is time VERY well spent.

I also have a four inch collection device of my own making that can be adjusted to assist the LocLine. This fits in the ways of the lathe and is vacuumed by the 4" main dust collection device. I have a shop vac attached to the LocLine system to vacuum the cutting dust and much of the shavings. The larger debris is either collected by the 4" system or simply falls to the shop floor for later collection and cleanup.

Whatever you decide to do, collect as much dust, etc. at the time of cutting and ALWAYS wear a sealed face shield. A smock with high neck protection and long sleeves is also a great addition. Just do everything you can possibly do to avoid bodily contact with the dust and such.

Like Dario has said above he has quit most of what he loved to do due to the fact that over time he became sensitized to some of the wood he was working with. It is possible that IF you do not have symptoms right now, that in time you too can become sensitized to the point that you can't even touch some of your wood without having a major reaction that takes many days to go away.

Your health depends on what you do now and will you will benefit from all the early precautions you can take now. It is also far cheaper to spend a bit of money on early precautions than to spend thousands more in medical bills later on, not to mention all the time lost due to the problems you are experiencing.

Top Bottom