Spinning Clips

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fireengines

From time to time, some of the clips on my pens can be rotated with very little pressure. I've tried using epoxy around the edge of the clip but over time that will break loose.
Any ideas on how to stop this?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ed McDonnell

I do two things.

1) I put a little loctite (blue) in the cap tube so that when I press in the cap finial, it stays in. This really helps stop clip spinning, but it does make future disassembly a little harder. Not impossible, but a little harder.

2) I put a small amount of loctite on the inner part of the clip ring. Not enough that I get squeeze out when things are pressed together. Just a light smear. This probably isn't needed, but it's easy to do and provide a little extra holding power on the clip.

I haven't had any pen with this approach go into clip spinning mode.

Ed

jttheclockman

These are proven methods and they work. I have often questioned why manufactorers do not put some sort of indent in the cap to prevent this. Some kits have this, why not all. I am sure it probably is a cost thing or something. So we adapt and this method works as described.

seamus7227

I noticed that the Marksman pen kits have that recess or "indent" and that is one feature that i really like with a pen as well. Not only that, a spinning clip will ruin a great finish. DAMHIKT

1080Wayne

I do two things.

1) I put a little loctite (blue) in the cap tube so that when I press in the cap finial, it stays in. This really helps stop clip spinning, but it does make future disassembly a little harder. Not impossible, but a little harder.

2) I put a small amount of loctite on the inner part of the clip ring. Not enough that I get squeeze out when things are pressed together. Just a light smear. This probably isn't needed, but it's easy to do and provide a little extra holding power on the clip.

I haven't had any pen with this approach go into clip spinning mode.

Ed

I do exactly as above , but with red Loctite to be a bit more sure , and even that is not a guarantee if the tolerances are such that the finial can be pressed in by hand .

Marc

I have always thought this was because I did not press the clip in tightly enough, or that the wood was still green enough to shrink a bit after completion. I have used the loctite as described above and that seems to eliminate the issue.

darrin1200

I tried using the loctite. On screw items it seemed to work great, but it did not seem to have the sheer strength on flat pieces like the clip. I had a couple still come loose.

I have started using a small dab of shellac. It is a traditional pen sealant and adhesive so I figured I would give it a try. So far it is working well, but I have only been using it a few weeks.

tim self

When I have to repair one, I rough up the flat surface and bottom of the cap then epoxy it in while holding clamping pressure on the cap. Very frustrating situation we should not have to deal with. I've never had this happen on a HIGH end pen. Only on Jr II series and off brand sierras.

Sawdust46

The only pen I have had returned was one where the clip started spinning and they kept spinning it until it has damaged the finish all around the pen. (It was a relative!) I dis-assembled the pen, refinished it and put it in a new kit. From now on I will be using Loctite when I put them together.
Thanks for the post.
ZIP IT!

Top Bottom