Spindle Adapter

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

endacoz

I will be driving back to upstate NY for the holidays and want to show my dad some things to make on his new lathe. My question is:

I have a 1" by 8tpi spindle thread on the headstock. (jet mini)
My father has a larger Jet 1221 that has a 1 1/2 by 8tpi thread. I can't seam to find an adapter that goes from 1 inch to 1 1/2 inch. I'd like to bring my accessories with me and use them on my dad's lathe, my chuck, bottle stopper mandrel etc.

does such an adapter exist?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charlie_W

You can check with Packard woodworks or Grizzley for an adaptor. Remember that when you get farther from the headstock and are stacking chucks, adapters, you can get some wobble.
If you have a 4 jaw Chuck, you may be able to remove the bushing and have
1 1/2" thread right there. Just use the Chuck adapter for other things

randyrls

Ethan; Yes several vendors sell such adapters. That is the good news, the bad news is They work only moderately well. The further you get away from the head stock, the more slop/vibration you will get.

Penn State Industries sells one

I had thought that others also sold these, but a cursory search didn't find any others.

KenV

I think you have the headstock size wrong on the Jet 1221 - Jet sells lathes with 1 inch by 8 threads and 1 1/4 by 8 threads per inch on this side of the pond. There are metric threaded headstocks on the right side of the pond (Europe).

I think the 1221 uses the 1 by 8 and you get the changes in spindles size with the 16 inch lathes.

Yup the 1221 uses 1 by 8 according to the literature at Amazon

Last edited:

bobleibo

I think you have the headstock size wrong on the Jet 1221 - Jet sells lathes with 1 inch by 8 threads and 1 1/4 by 8 threads per inch on this side of the pond. There are metric threaded headstocks on the right side of the pond (Europe).

I think the 1221 uses the 1 by 8 and you get the changes in spindles size with the 16 inch lathes.

Yup the 1221 uses 1 by 8 according to the literature at Amazon

I agree and would do a double check. I have a Jet 1220 and it is a 1" x 8tpi.

Mr Vic

Check your chuck also. My Nova uses an insert to fit the spindle. On my Jet it's a 1" x 8 tpi. I gave a demo on a Powermatic which is 1 1/4" x 8 tpi. You just swap out the adapter insted of stacking them up.

Checked out the specs on Jettools.com and the spindle is 1"x8tpi

Sylvanite

I used to have a Delta lathe with a 1"x8tpi spindle. My current lathe is a Powermatic with a 1 1/4"x8tpi spindle. In order to use the the accessories I bought for the Delta (chucks mostly) on the Powermatic, I bought an adapter from PSI. It has surprisingly little runout and works quite well. I am happy with it.

I hope that helps,
Eric

endacoz

I can't see the lathe in front of me, my dad measured the (i think headstock threads) and said that including the threads he was measuring 1.5 inches.

No other threads near there that I could think he was measuring, I'll have to call him again and check some things.

Thanks for your quick replies!

KenV

I can't see the lathe in front of me, my dad measured the (i think headstock threads) and said that including the threads he was measuring 1.5 inches.

No other threads near there that I could think he was measuring, I'll have to call him again and check some things.

Thanks for your quick replies!

The dimension sounds like the length of the headstock screw -- If he is running a Jet 1220 sold in the United States -- his headstock diameter is 1 inch and the threads are 8 per inch.

The good news is that you can purchase nylock nuts 1 by 8 and use a torch to soften the nylon and remove it -- you now have a nut to build a shop built face plate --

And it check the thread on the lathe.

endacoz

Thanks! talked my dad through his lathe again to measure. He kept saying that his threads were black.... I finally figured out that he had an adapter on his lathe to 1 1/2 inches!

Thanks for your advice all!

KenV

Ethan -- that started my head down the path of "what would he have on a headstock with inch and a half threads?. We need not go there though.

Top Bottom