'Spensive blanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

angboy

I was following this ebay auction just to see how high the final price went- $51 PLUS shipping! You'd think for that price shipping might be free. And this was for a whopping TWO pen blanks. Granted they are snakewood, but that's still awfully pricey- especially if you mess one of them up in the process of turning it into a pen! Don't know if BigRob sells snakewood, but I'm betting it wouldn't be $25 a blank!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8248818117&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

smitty

I was at WoodCraft yesterday and they were selling snakewood pen blanks for $12.00 each. I guess I should have purchased a few and put them on Ebay.

Spike

Originally posted by mrcook4570
<br />I need to start selling blanks instead of pens [:p]
You can say that again. gee wiz thats alot dough for some wood.
my hands would be shaking when i turned that stuff.

mikes pens

If you check the bidding history, you will see that it was mainly two people bidding against each other continuously. I never understand why people bid against each other and drive the price up. I would rather wait until the end and then submit my best offer and see how it goes. You got to know the market though. I have got snakewood for under $10.00 Canadian (so that is about .50 cents US?).

thetalbott4

I sell a bit on Ebay and several weeks ago someone paid $103.00 for four 3/4" sq x 5" Camphor Burl blanks. I dont understand it, but I'll take it. I've had $50 -$75 fairly regularly for 4 blanks of that size of various species. Go figure.

chigdon

I don't get it. I have been known to buy some expensive chunks of wood but when I resaw them into pen blanks it is actually pretty cheap. $25 each for snakewood is crazy but that much for camphor burl really crazy.

thetalbott4

I guess it boils down to the value an item has for that person. What I wouldnt pay a dollar for, you may shell out a ten spot for. They may not know the value of the material, or they may just get caught up in the auction bidding war. Or they may just be nuts... who knows?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom