special wood request

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hughbie

after seeing a lot of entries about woods that came from here or there, like the 100 year old blanks, i have decided to ask out about something i would like to see.

i'm retired navy. i came from the submarine community and knowing that there isn't much wood on one of those....

i would like to ask ya'll, does anyone have any wood blanks that came from any old ships?

i would LOVE to make myself a special pen from something like that....and maybe a couple of navy friends of mine

thanks guys

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

avbill

I have limited among of Lignum Vitae from the US Mariposa from the Matson ship line . the wood was the shaft bearings. back in 1968-9. My father and I worked the ship.

Bill DAniels

mwenman

I remember when I was stationed on the J.C. Stennis back in 2000, there was some Teak in the wood shop that was from the Missouri I believe. Think they moved that carrier up to Washington, so will get ahold of a friend that works in the shipyard up there and see if he may be able to get some if it is still there. No guarantees, but will give it a shot.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
There's a guy in Maine , who's info escapes me at this moment . I'll have to round that up & PM it to you . The guy has old wood from almost anything . I'll see what I can do . I sailed the USS Nantahala ,'65-'69 . Our Liberty Launches were made of some nice wood . They scuttled the ship after I was discharged . Maybe you could try a scrapyard . The decks on the battleships were Teak . Great idea , kinda like to have some myself .

Paul Downes

I know I saw some pens made from wood salvaged from the USS Constitution. I can't remember where I saw this but maybe someone else on this forum will steer you in the right direction.

Firefyter-emt

This get's my vote as well. Right from the heart of the beast. That's the blood and bones of the ship!

Originally posted by avbill

I have limited among of Lignum Vitae from the US Mariposa from the Matson ship line . the wood was the shaft bearings. back in 1968-9. My father and I worked the ship.

Bill DAniels

Jarheaded

There must be a very low cost of living in Maine. I did a show and a guy from Maine was selling slimlines at $12 and cigars for $20. He told me that if he makes $300 a month he can live nicely. I couldn't live on that for a week. My oil bill is higher than that and I use wood to heat my house mostly. If I didn't hate the cold so much, I would think about moving up there, but then again, he had to come down here to do a show. I have a couple of old M1 stocks that I might cut up and make some pens out of.

hughbie

some Lignum Vitae would be a fantastic start! let me know what hoops i have to jump through to talk you out of a little of that.

wow, i would love to get a hold of some from the Constitution! whoever would or could remember who has some of that would be fantastic!

thanks guys.....i appreciate all the info and help!

rsk

Originally posted by Paul Downes

I know I saw some pens made from wood salvaged from the USS Constitution. I can't remember where I saw this but maybe someone else on this forum will steer you in the right direction.

There's a gift shop attached to the museum that sells both finished pens and small chunks of wood. I didn't see the wood on the site, but they might be able to help out if you call them.

If memory serves me, they were fairly small pieces, but maybe something could be done with some of them.

http://www.ussconstitutionmuseumstore.org

Top Bottom