Speaking of Osage Orange!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary

While driving home today I noticed a new construction site about 3 miles away. It's the site of a new highschool to be built. There were three piles of wood mulch about 50-60 feet high and bright yellow!

It was an 40-acre tract, and they had bulldozed down about a mile of section line that was all osage orange (some of it really big trees). They brought in a commercial grinder/shredder and made bark mulch of it all...lot of pen blanks in there.:(

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tipusnr

They did the same thing with some neat cherry and osage orange around me. I asked if I could harvest some of it and they said they couldn't do that - insurance liability or something. What a waste of wood! Garbage trees make mulch!!!

Still that's a lot of turning blanks!!!

Gary

Originally posted by tipusnr
<br />They did the same thing with some neat cherry and osage orange around me. I asked if I could harvest some of it and they said they couldn't do that - insurance liability or something. What a waste of wood! Garbage trees make mulch!!!

Still that's a lot of turning blanks!!!

Yep...I inquired too. They wouldn't even let me walk on the site, much less try to reclaim some limbs.

Darley

Don't be to hard on yourself guys it happen here to, they don't want anyone to walk on the cuting area like you say public liability insurance if I want some logs I have to barter them with carton of beer[8)], shame sometime to see all those trees goin in smoke[:(][xx(]

Serge

woodscavenger

One word......midnight.
Same thinkg happened down my street for a condo project. I went overthere on two separate nights with my chainsaw and pickup and hauled away several large sections of walnut, maple burl and aramatic cedar.

jwoodwright

We have same thing, machine comes in, grabs tree, cuts tree, feeds tree into Monster Chipper... We are losing a lot of forested areas...[:0]

Huge mountains of bark and tree chips...[xx(]

Rifleman1776

In Arkansas, we have a law that says if you are on someone else's land for recreational purposes and get injured, the landowner is free from liability. example: friend asks you over for a picnic, you trip on a rock and get hurt, he will not be financing your early retirement. I think it is a good law. Probably would apply to picking up logs for woodworking hobby. (that's just a laymans' guess)

Originally posted by Gary
<br />You are lucky...around here it is an insurance issue, so they say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom