Speaking of Ebony Cracking

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wayneis

So far I've only had one that I know of thats cracked but that was after I had taken it on a long flight from MI. to Provo Utah. It was fine when I packed all of my pens for the trip but when I arrived it was pretty cracked and I was pretty bummed.

Wayne

Rudy Vey

Originally posted by wayneis
<br />So far I've only had one that I know of thats cracked but that was after I had taken it on a long flight from MI. to Provo Utah. It was fine when I packed all of my pens for the trip but when I arrived it was pretty cracked and I was pretty bummed.

Wayne

Was it in your checked luggage or in the cabin carry-on? I have the feeling that the luggage compartement gets very cold at times, not sure if it is pressurized and has a temperature control. But I had my luggage get back to me and some stuff inside was very, i.e. icecold. So drastic changes in temperature can make wood crack easily. I had a customer returning a pen to me, Kingwood, that had cracked. But he had left it in the winter (as you know here in MI quite cold) on the dash of his car, over the day, with the sun on it, it got warm but then at night it went below 0 and this is too much.

BTW, PI has cracked on me only once in over 50 pens.

chigdon

The answer is definately YES - in my experience. I got some 15 year old (very dry) heavily figured PI (even with a little burl) and it has cracked on me consistantly. I think the heavily figured PI is probably worse -- and I was so excited when I got the wood!

Chris Hare

I have had problems with it when I use it for slim lines and friction polish. They would crack a day or two later. I have done sone in a cigar with friction polish without an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom