Spalting Wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bjbear76

I'm not sure if this is the proper forum for this question, but I had a hackberry tree downed last fall. I've got most of it cut up and stacked and rather than use it all for firewood, I thought I'd set some aside for spalting. What's the best way to achieve good spalting? Does the diameter and thickness of the log make a difference? and about how long does it take before it's ready to be cut and dried for stabilizing?

Bill

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

The Penguin

if it was cut last fall - it may be too late to encourage spalting

moisture content needs to be high!

put a few cut pieces of logs (with bark ON) in a solid color tub (not clear), add a cup of water to the tub (non-chlorinated) - then put the tub in a warm dark place for a few months.

check it periodically

when the fungus starts to form - you'll smell it. when the cut ends are black - remove 1 piece from bin and make a test cut to see if it's spalted.

if it's ready - remove all from bin, process into blanks - and dry them.

if not ready back into the bin for another month or so.

that is the basic method for home spalting as described by Dr. Sara Robinson

rblakemore

Beer spalting?!?!

In our bowl turning class last year; the instructor had relatively fresh cut, still very wet Hackberry (very common in the Houston area), he poured some beer on it (yeast can grow in the wood) and wrapped it in plastic for about a month. That is enough time for the yeast to grow in the wood and spalt it; but, rot or destroy the wood. Apart from the water splattering, it worked very well.

bjbear76

Thanks for the tips everyone. This wood shouldn't be dried out yet. Most of it has been covered in brush and we had LOTS of snow this winter. I think I'll cut the logs about 12" long; that should provide enough length to cut different angles for blanks.

Bill

bedangerous

I lost a Bradford pear to a bad storm in NJ in 2002. I cut it into 18" logs and put it in a pile in the Back yard near the garden. Fast forward to 2013 when I got into woodworking and I cut the logs into blanks with my bandsaw and the wood was beautifully spalted. Now all family members have pens as a memory of the tree that we loved to watch flower to bring in the spring.
Mitch

rblakemore

I would like to add another idea for consideration for creating spalted wood.
I have a large rubber tub, left over from a small garden fountain. I am going to fill it with some well composted compost and keep wet. I will also add some yeast and I like the idea of adding a little organic fertilizer.

I'm not sure if this is the proper forum for this question, but I had a hackberry tree downed last fall. I've got most of it cut up and stacked and rather than use it all for firewood, I thought I'd set some aside for spalting. What's the best way to achieve good spalting? Does the diameter and thickness of the log make a difference? and about how long does it take before it's ready to be cut and dried for stabilizing?

Bill

It is likely too late. As it dry's for some reason can not be rehydrated to encourage the fungal growth (that I have found).

If it is fresh cut, and a species that spalts well, which hackberry is one of the best. you can wrap it in plastic and it will spalt all by itself.

Top Bottom