Spalting Questions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

pipemaker

I would like to attempt to spalt some freshly cut Maple and Lilac branches.
Should I leave the bark on the pieces or remove it, and should I seal the ends or leave them open? The Lilac appears extremely prone to end checking.

I am going to experiment with some different methods.
Sawdust moistened with a beer/Miracle Gro mix
Damp sawdust with mushrooms
Damp sawdust with some wood that is actively spalted
Damp leaves with beer/Miracle Gro
and I will bury a few in the compost pile.

Thanks for any advice on how to prepare the green wood.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

53Jim

Yes, keep us posted with the results. If you have good results, I might just have to drive down their and let you try some wood for me.

low_48

I would take the bark off and not coat the ends. If you want the maximum spalting in the shortest time, I would cut the log sections into boards. You will want the spalting to get into the wood as soon as possible. All the logs that I have cut for spalting, have the best color and patterns at the ends of the log. Maximum exposure will get the mold in to the wood quicker. Keeping the wood covered with the spalting material should hold the moisture and limit the splitting. I would also use some spalted wood to prime one of the trial material. Maybe go into the woods and bring back some bark from a rotten log on the ground. That's the spores you want. They would be active when you bring them home as well. I think the compost pile will be too hot for good mold. I've not tried it, but going on my observations from the log pile.

Rich

atvrules1

Somebody posted a spalting mix a while back that sounded like it would work well. I wonder if anybody has a link to that post, or if it could be put into the articles area. I think it would be of benefit to some of us. Does anyone remember who posted it, or where? It was the mix that had fertilizer and manure in it.

woodwish

This sounds like a good experiment for a Science Fair project, why didn't I think of this when my kids were struggling to come up with something? Maybe I will suggest this to some of my students next year. Maybe I could write a Federal grant to fund it! That would be good, use your tax dollars to get me some nice wood to turn! Of course it would be for educational purposes only [;)]

Doghouse

by removing the bark, you remove the home for most of the bugs.

As long as you are keeping the log moist enough for fungus to grow then you have no problems.
Remember this is rot science not rocket science. Rot happens if you let it.[:D]

Rifleman1776

There is also the method of using Boraxo. Make the solution, put wood in plastic and let whatever happens, happen. I was going to try this and report on success, or lack thereof, but haven't gotten to it. I think it is project #379 on a list of 599. [:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom