Spalted wood grain orientation

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Mike

Hello friends,
I recently acquired some beautiful spalted maple of pen blank size that was cut across the grain instead of being ripped with the grain,

Can I use it for pen turning? What special precautions/preparations do I need to do?

I guess these are dumb questions but I have not ever used any crosscut wood for pen blanks. Your input appreciated.

Thanks, Big Mike

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fred in NC

If the wood is strong, it should be no problem. Otherwise you can always use some wood hardener, and CA when getting close to finished size if necessary. Otherwise it might need to be stablilized. There is a link to stabilization by vacuum in our home page. Please post pics of your pens when you finish some.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Before the spalting and cross cutting, that maple would have been a dream. The cross cutting will add a degree of difficulty as wood prefers to be cut with rather than against the grain. The spalting may make soft of the areas soft and prone to tear out. Both of these problems can be overcome by going slowly, using shallow cuts. You'll get a feel for what the wood will take as you go. You may also find a need for your 60-grit skew (sandpaper [:D]) Good luck and let us see the finished work! [8D]

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
The 90-degree grain orientation can sometimes offer a better grain picture than what we would refer to as the normal grain direction.

Splitting can be a problem when drilling and trimming the blanks, and during the initial turning from square to round. Use a sharp tool, and Thin-CA glue to keep it together until you get it close to size. A saturation coat of the Thin-CA will be all the stabilization you will need. All of that end grain really sucks up a lot of the glue.

G

Go for it!
Keep the chisels sharp&C.A. handy and go slow.
I go "cross grain all the time.
I won't say I don't have any mis haps but the results are phenomonal!
I've recently done Zebra Wood and Bocote this way which should have a similar appearance to you spalted maple though maybe a little darker.
Also Walnut and even plywood.
You will get Chataoyance on 2 sides as you revlve the pen.
The Zebra wood looks like marble,a poor mans burl.
(I have also had some pieces that were like the movie tin cup,kept blowing out,kept trying.)
If I quit at blow outs I never would have made my 2nd through 100th corn cob pen.
I don't belive in using 60 grit rasps,but if thats what it takes to get the pen finished,have at it!
You will love the results!

dmadis

Another technique is to cut in from the ends of the blank, ie on the left end of the blank cut to the right toward the center and on the right end cut to the left. You have to approach the blank cautiously and take lighter cuts. The wood is most likely to break at the ends when the cut is finished at the end of the blank. You can also go uphill to a certain extent on endgrain wood.

Big Mike

Thanks guys, I figured you fellows would be able to answer my questions. I will turn some as soon as I return from a business trip and post the results if there are results to post...

Big Mike

Originally posted by DCBluesman
<br />Those are two gorgeous Statesman pens in your album, Mike. I take it you've got two sons? Or just one who's REAL lucky.
Thanks for the compliment. Those pens are for my only child and son. Two years ago when I started turning pens I built a display case similar to the glass topped cases with a hinged lid and pullout drawer for him. I have been dutifully filling it for him at each opportunity. He's my boy and he gets the best that Dad can do...

jkirkb94

Glad to see you make these for your son. This reminds me that I need to do the same for my son. I have had my mind on making pens for others that I have forgotten I need to make him a nice one. I recently gave the daughter a nice pen but she might need another for Christmas. Your son will be proud of his pens and his dad![:)] Kirk[8D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom