Spalted willow

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dario

Hello Guys,

I was just rummaging around my stockpile and saw one of my discarded willow has spalted. I ripped one log and found interesting spalting lines. Have anyone here used willow before? How does it turn/finish? From the bandsaw it feels like the grains are very fibrous judging from the thread like material that remains on the blank especially on the bottom corner. I got about 40 blanks from one log section.

I know willow have different varieties ...this one is from a tree that looks like mesquite but have bigger leaves. The bark is also very thick. The tree it came from is about 24"-30" diameter. Very heavy when green and dark brown in color. Light wood once dried and color turned very light.

Thanks!

EDIT: Heree is a pic of the blanks being dried. Also a pic of some red elm and pecan.

Willow
200551911138_P1070482a.jpg

Red Elm
200551912630_P1070483a.jpg

Pecan

200551913041_P1070486b.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wayneis

Dario I would say that Willow is no different than most in that if it has something different or unusual then go for it. I have some that is very swirly and curly and I'm waiting for it to dry out. What I have turned has been fine, not tricky or anything. Give it a shot and see for yourself.

Wayne

MDWine

Excellent find! I found a piece of firewood at the camp this weekend. I think it is probably pine, but the bark is gone, and it is grey from the weather. I sliced a piece on the BS, and it is really pretty! I'm cutting it into blanks some time soon and will add it to my pile of "to be stabilized"!!
Free wood is great! [;)]
FREE PRETTY wood is better!!! [:D]

Dario

Originally posted by Doghouse
<br />Willow is soft and spalting will make is softer. Take care and use sharp tools. You may want to stabelize them a little.

That probably explains the fibers...real hard wood usually just produce dust.

I'll try stabilizing it with Minwax hardener (after drying) and see how it turns [:D]. I'll post pics when I get to it...gloat a bit [}:)] LOL

BigRob777

Originally posted by MDWine
<br />Excellent find! I found a piece of firewood at the camp this weekend. I think it is probably pine, but the bark is gone, and it is grey from the weather. I sliced a piece on the BS, and it is really pretty! I'm cutting it into blanks some time soon and will add it to my pile of "to be stabilized"!!
Free wood is great! [;)]
FREE PRETTY wood is better!!! [:D]
Hi MDWine, remember me, the new guy? I don't want to high jack this, but i do have a question concerning spalting and stabilizing. Do you need to add spalted saw dust to the wet packing for a potentially spalted log, or is plain wet sawdust good enough? Second is what do you use to stabilize? I mentioned pentacryl and someone responded that they hate the stuff. I can't remember who, but I don't want to short change myself.
Nice spalt by the way. Don't the fibers on the blade, or hanging off the lead edge of the cut mean that the wood is too soft and is tearing out?[?]
Figgy
aka BigRob777 ah well, I think I'll continue this in another link.

Daniel

fine looking blanks there. I have a ditch at the back edge of my yard. there are several willows growing there that my wife has said several times she wants cut back. suddenly seems like a good idea to me as well [}:)]

Dario

Daniel,

Go for it...just note that it does rot fast so watch it more carefully than you would other wood being spalted. Mine is by sheer accident and I was using the log as my "chopping board" while chainsawing. I went over and that is when I noticed the spalt lines.

MDWine

Hey Rob...

I'm pretty green too, no "vast" experience here at all.

I have some Spalted Maple that I will eventually send out to be stabilized. I don't do my own yet. I'm trying to concentrate on making a nice pen first, then I'll fool around with those other things. The piece I cut last week didn't seem fiberous at all, but it is very soft. I can cut pretty deeply with my fingernail. I'll cut the blanks on the BS, then (when I get enough wood to make the effort affordable) will send the to someone to be stabilized.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom