Spalted Pecan Blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

toyotaman

Here are some of my freshly cut pen blanks. It's been a good summer and my spalting woods are doing very well. This pecan has some tremendous lines and is very solid. Should make some awesome pens. I have my Maple to get to now.

Attachments

• Spalted pecan 001.JPG
    Spalted pecan 001.JPG
    135.9 KB · Views: 613
  • Spalted pecan 002.JPG
    Spalted pecan 002.JPG
    139.8 KB · Views: 387
  • Spalted pecan 003.JPG
    Spalted pecan 003.JPG
    108.8 KB · Views: 328
  • Spalted pecan 004.JPG
    Spalted pecan 004.JPG
    116.3 KB · Views: 559
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

The Penguin

start with green wood, ideally with moisture content above 25%

place it in a container (tub) with 1 cup non-chlorinated water in the bottom

close container (but do not seal it - a loose fitting lid is fine) - place it in a warm place for 8-12 weeks

check at 8 weeks - remove a piece from container and cut it open to see spalting progression. If acceptable - remove pieces from container (they will be covered in black nasty fungus) - then spray with hose to remove. Cut into blanks, then dry completely to stop spalting progression.

if not spalted enough after 8 weeks - place back in container and continue spalting process.

toyotaman

Mine are cut into 24-30" lengths and while fresh and green I place them in the woods. I have alot of Oak trees around and rake back the leaves and place the log on the ground and cover with leaves. I will check the in about 8-10 weeks and see if there is a fungus has begun growing in the log. The more fungus the better. Give it about 3-4 more weeks and check it. I usually cut about an inch off one end and see the progress. If its not where I want it I will replace the piece I cut off and recover with leaves. Wait a little longer and don't wait too long or it will go too far and will not be any good. Spalting wood is not hard as long as you keep an eye on it.

The Penguin

start with green wood, ideally with moisture content above 25%

place it in a container (tub) with 1 cup non-chlorinated water in the bottom

close container (but do not seal it - a loose fitting lid is fine) - place it in a warm place for 8-12 weeks

check at 8 weeks - remove a piece from container and cut it open to see spalting progression. If acceptable - remove pieces from container (they will be covered in black nasty fungus) - then spray with hose to remove. Cut into blanks, then dry completely to stop spalting progression.

if not spalted enough after 8 weeks - place back in container and continue spalting process.

Mine are cut into 24-30" lengths and while fresh and green I place them in the woods. I have alot of Oak trees around and rake back the leaves and place the log on the ground and cover with leaves. I will check the in about 8-10 weeks and see if there is a fungus has begun growing in the log. The more fungus the better. Give it about 3-4 more weeks and check it. I usually cut about an inch off one end and see the progress. If its not where I want it I will replace the piece I cut off and recover with leaves. Wait a little longer and don't wait too long or it will go too far and will not be any good. Spalting wood is not hard as long as you keep an eye on it.
the method I quoted above is a very brief summary of what is presented by Dr. Sarah Robinson from the University of Oregon (I think) - and I forgot to mention that it must be wood with the bark left ON because the bark will contain the fungal spores that will spalt the wood. It works well in the garage.

leaving it in the yard covered in leaves is great too...unless you have a wife like mine that is already complaining about you taking up the entire garage, space on the driveway, and "you better keep all that damn mess out of the backyard" :biggrin:

SDB777

I find it easy to spalt timber here in Arkansas....just find a dead tree laying in the woods. Poof, spalted!!

Nice score on the blanks! You going to stabilize them now?

Scott (piles of timber laying around the garage...never seen that before....hehehehe!) B

Top Bottom