Spalted Maple Without the Spalt

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Nate Davey

Haven't had a chance to do any turning for about 4 months, so I decided to upgrade from my little Turncrafter Pro VS to something a little better quality while I had the chance. My good friend gave me a Spalted Maple blank and I could tell that most of the detail was on the surface of the blank. Oh well, never look a gift blank in the mouth.....or something like that. Anyways here's a pic of the lathe and the Spaltless Maple pen. Comments and criticisms appreciated. And please don't look at the messy shop, I'm in the process of redoing it for more efficiency and storage.

The finish on the pen is dry sanded to MM 12000, 10 coats CA dry sanded to MM 12000, buffed with EEE.

Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• Spalted Maple 02.jpg
    Spalted Maple 02.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 207
  • Pen Lathe 02a.jpg
    Pen Lathe 02a.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 176
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
From the angle can't see the model of your new toy, but JET is always a good choice... I have a 1442 and an older 1014... both are workhorses and love them both.

Great pen too... not a fan of the bumps and bulges, but that's me... sometimes you'll get spalting that doesn't go all the way through...

Nate Davey

Thanks Chuck,

It's a 1642. Don't usually make it lumpy, but once I saw the Spalt was gone, I thought I'd experiment.

Attachments

• P1010020.JPG
    P1010020.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 92
Thanks Chuck,

It's a 1642. Don't usually make it lumpy, but once I saw the Spalt was gone, I thought I'd experiment.

That's nice... I looked at the 1642 when I bought mine... really wanted the EVS, but thought I wanted to be able to turn outboard too, and the way I have my shop set up, the outboard wouldn't work for me on the 1642... you have to slide the head stock to the end of the ways for the outboard....if they had made the head stock swivel like the 1442, that would have been perfect. My lathes are set up in and "L" shape with the tail stock of the big lathe towards the little lathe and to the wall... not any other way to set them up that is as comfortable as they are now....

Top Bottom