Spalted Maple Euro - Home Stabilization Results

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fangar

Recently, the topic of Home Stabilization and issues related with this method has come around again. There have been some methods discussed and issues associated with finish options etc. I decided to post this pen in this forum as opposed to the "Show Off Your Pens Forum", as I think it lends itself to our home stablization discussion more than the looky at my pen value...

I just finished this for a customer. It is a piece of very spalted cross cut maple that was home stabilized with my simple hand pump method, with ploy only. This stuff is nearly impossible to turn without exploding due to the spalt, cross cut, and punkiness of the wood. The poly impregnation makes it manageable. Anyway, the finish is CA only as I no longer use BLO in my finishes for cloudiness issues.

spaltedeuro.jpg

For those of you having issues with exploding soft / punky blanks, the 20 dollar pump is well worth the time and effort.

Cheers,

Fangar

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

WOW, thanks James, both for the feedback and the look at such a pretty pen! I'm not a fan of Euro styles, but that one is a knock-out!

alamocdc

Looks great, James! I'm glad your poly results work well for you. [^] Mine did not, but it could have been the poly. When you use CA for the finish do you still apply it the same way as you would if you were using the BLO or do you need to do something different?

Czarcastic

Originally posted by Fangar
<br />...the 20 dollar pump is well worth the time and effort.
Great looking pen! <s>I must have missed the "$20 pump" discussion.
Would you mind pointing me in the right direction</s>?
Never mind... found it.
Thanks!

Fangar

Originally posted by alamocdc
<br />Looks great, James! I'm glad your poly results work well for you. [^] Mine did not, but it could have been the poly. When you use CA for the finish do you still apply it the same way as you would if you were using the BLO or do you need to do something different?

Billy,

Yes. I just skip the BLO from the mix. After all my MM sanding, I clean with DNA, and use Myland's Cellulose sanding sealer. Knock that back with some 0000 steel wool or usually that last 4 grits of MM. Then I slow the lathe down and go for the CA, but without the BLO.

Cheers,

James

Fangar

Here is the link:

http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6174&SearchTerms=stabilization

Note that now I predrill my blanks, and use a much large jar, but the idea is the same.

James

Fangar

Originally posted by Rifleman
<br />That's a stunner. Beautiful. You didn't ask for critique, but that has never stopped me. [:p] I believe gold or satin gold would compliment the wood better.

Frank,

Comments and criticism is always welcome. I appreciate your point. This was what the customer wanted. Also on a side note, it looks much better in person. I have a tough time capturing the Black Titanium finish properly in my photos. They always look chrome to me.

James

GregD

WOW!!! THat is one beautiful pen. I've been using the poly method of stablizing for a while now. I got the venturi vacumm pump from HF. It works for me.

PenWorks

Beautifull pen James. I can't comment on the home stabalizing, because I do not have the time to do it, but yours came out wonderfull.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Fang-
Great job on the pen!
For thosse of you with your own compressors the vac manifold gizom from H.F. is only $10.00 on sale.
(BTW still waiting for the call)

lawry76

That is just awesome. I am a fan of the European pens. I am at that point in my progress where the finish is the main issue for me. I keep trying and working at it, and I am making some progress. But you sure set a high standard. That is beautiful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom