spalted maple

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JRay8

i picked up a really nice spalted maple board today. its gonna make really nice blanks but it seems kinda soft for turning. what do you guys think, does it need to be stabilzed or should i just turn it?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keithlong

I always stabilize them as I turn em. Here is how I do mine.

Aafter I have glued in the tubes and squared them up, I stabilize the ends with thin CA and spray a mist of accelarator on the ends, then turm them round, and stop and check them, then I stabilize them with thin CA, spray accelarator then turn down some more, stabilize, spray with accelarator and turn until I have them the size I want them.

SDB777

i picked up a really nice spalted maple board today. its gonna make really nice blanks but it seems kinda soft for turning. what do you guys think, does it need to be stabilzed or should i just turn it?

Hard to tell for sure.....can't see the photo:biggrin:

Scott (no photo, didn't happen:rolleyes:) B

Lonn

Do nothing different but i use thin super glue inside the wood after drilling , before using epoxy to glue in the tubes. As i turn i apply lacquer from when the wood is about 1/8 inch over target diameter prior to each skew cut and prior to each sanding all the way through 800 grit. This product is called Qualasole by Behlin ( use to be called padding lacquer), its spec sheet says it contains an equal part lacquer and shellac. I goes on like lacquer and buffs up hard and shinny. This is my only pen finish. Tip. If you use this product after you remove the cap punch three ice pick offices into the seal so the product stays fresh. I use gun cleaning patches ( tee shirt material) to apply. Yes this is a friction polish but there is something about sanding each coat in immediately hardens this product because you can take it almost immediately from the lathe to the buffer. All pores are filled even on oak and purple heart. I had to limit my exposure to super glue AMAP. Those $130.00 eye drops will buy lots of toys for my shop.

Last edited:
Top Bottom